PDA

View Full Version : Hour Building

ryan_herts
10th Jan 2009, 15:18
Hi there; Im ryan and i am 3/4 through my JAA - PPL/A My aim is to get to Instructor level. The main hurdle for me is going to be hour building, i have heard that the CAA have changed the regulations on undertaking a Instructor Rating, and that all you need now is 150 hours P1, and to successfully pass the Instructor course. Does anybody have any ideas on how to do some relatively cheap horu building ? If so, some locations, even as far out as the Us. Aloso, does anybody happen to know if the CAA flight instructor regulations have actually been changed and in force yet ?

jamie230985
17th Jan 2009, 08:28
Ryan, the honest answer is I dont know 100% about the Instructor requirements. It used to be that you had a PPL and FI course done but you could not be paid to instruct, then it changed to having to have a CPL and an FI course. Although there has been some talk in going back to the original I dont believe it has been implimented yet although I could be wrong!!

cheap hours building, go Florida simple answer. if you get over there in Mar/Apr the weather is nice, not so many thunder storms and you will bash out your hours in no time. The main advantage is that most airports there do not have landing fees and also you can get into much larger airports. (eg. I landed at Miami international, Orlando International and Sanford during my hour building)

I recomend researching flight schools that instead of renting the plane per hour let you lease it per week or day as my friend did that and traveled to around 20 states in East US during his hour building including a trip past the statue of liberty at 1,000 ft!!

make sure there are no restrictions on distance you can go from base and use your time wisely, dont get sloppy or lazy!!

good luck

olliec3000
17th Jan 2009, 14:26
I've done some trainnig in Florida this time last year and I agree with jaimee that the weather is good and you get many more hours than in the UK over the same time period. It was very cheap and the cost of living definately cheaper than soutern england. However it was nearly $2 to a £ then, i think its only around $1.50 now so the US might not be as cheap as it was.

I have also done some flying at bournemouth flying club Bournemouth Flying Club (http://bfclub.co.uk/home/) They have a hour building rate on diesel pa-28 or c172 of around £90 an hour. Dont know if any other clubs in your are have similar rates.

UK will have landing fee costs but the RT is much better and your always talking to someone so if most of your ppl has been abroad so far i would reccommend UK hrs building.

I had heard something about nolonger needing a CPL for an instructors rating and that high hours ppls could apply. Not sure if this has happened or just an idea.
ollie