PDA

View Full Version : Recovering from major crash

R4+Z
10th Jan 2009, 10:46
I am recovering my computer from a major crash. It is related to the winlogon.exe file but having tried everything I can I decided to bite the bullet and buy a new drive and reinstall everything again. Now because I went down this track, it means the old drive is still available to pull files off. What I am trying to do is recover the IE7 favourites and the outlook contacts files but I can't use the export feature from the programmes in question. Can anyone point me to the files I need to copy across to the new installation in order to recover them? I have already managed to recover all my old emails by copying the .pst files across. These are all I need to feel that I have gotten away with it so........?

preduk
10th Jan 2009, 11:22
dirve/Documents and Settings\username\Favorites

drive/username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Sometimes these files are hidden in hidden folders so you may need to enable hidden folders by going to Start>Control Panel>Folder Options>View>"Show Hidden Files and Folders"

hellsbrink
10th Jan 2009, 13:45
An obvious one for the future is to export them to a memory stick (they cost next to nothing nowadays) so IF you ever hav to do this sort of thing again then you have a backup of your favourites/contacts. Always handy in the case of a hard drive failure, or if you need to transfer things to another PC (work, for example).

R4+Z
12th Jan 2009, 08:19
Thanks preduk

I got my internet favourites back but I am still at a loss on the outlook contacts. I even thought I could get them back by syncing my pda with the machine but even though that syncs I can't see the results. I'll keep searching.

Regards

R4

BOAC
12th Jan 2009, 08:31
I don't use Outlook, but I believe all data for Outlook is in the single PST file, including all emails, contacts and calendar etc (usually Outlook.pst, which I think may be in drive/username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook as a 'hidden' file).

Keef
12th Jan 2009, 15:54
That's the main reason I don't use Outlook. That one file can so easily get damaged if the machine shuts down unexpectedly (power failure or whatever). Thunderbird puts the stuff where I tell it, and has each separate dataset or mail folder in a separate file.

So I can find it, back it up, copy it, and all the rest.