PDA

View Full Version : UK: Quickie on pronunciation.....

Duchess_Driver
10th Jan 2009, 09:12
EGCV, Sleap....

Crew room discussion going on.

...is it pronounced SLEEP (as in not awake) or SLAYPE (as in.....err, well....)???

DB6
10th Jan 2009, 09:14
Slaype last time I was there.

ShyTorque
10th Jan 2009, 09:20
Is that Slaip or Slaipee? :confused: :E

My boss was impressed with the all day breakfast. They're a very friendly bunch at Sleap :ok:

wombat13
10th Jan 2009, 10:06
Amongst the very best bunch I have ever come across at a club or school.

As for pronunciation. Think about a big monkey (yep, an ape). Stick a s and an l in front of it and you get the idea - slape.

The Wombat

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
10th Jan 2009, 11:01
Many years ago, as an ATC Cadet, I was quite excited when we were told that we were going to Sleap with the Girls Venture Training Corps.

Good preparation for life's many disappointments.

Anyway, in Cheshire, we weren't expected to pronounce it properly.

BRL
10th Jan 2009, 11:28
Great post :D

jonkil
10th Jan 2009, 14:03
Want to hear some Irish pronunciation of some airfields..... cringe :}

Blues&twos
10th Jan 2009, 15:22
Heard a German tourist on a tube train once talking to her companion about the next stop being "Oyston Skvarr".

Hyperborean
10th Jan 2009, 16:18
More years ago than I care to admit I saw the FIR controller nearly fall off his chair laughing. When asked why he said he'd just had a call from an aircraft en-route from Little Snoring to Sleap.

India Four Two
10th Jan 2009, 21:07
I remember in the RAF Flight Safety publication (name escapes me - Air Clues?) in the late 60s, an article with a title along the lines of "Don't go to sleep near Sleap", reminding pilots that Sleap was used intensively for practice GCAs by the Vampires and Provosts from Shawbury, for the benefit of trainee controllers.

tmmorris
11th Jan 2009, 10:43
Put it this way, they refer to themselves on the radio as 'Slape' and I've never heard it otherwise...

Tim

Sir George Cayley
11th Jan 2009, 14:55
Of course for Geordies and Wearside lads it's Sleee app:ok:

Aye the lads mon

Sir George Cayley