PDA

View Full Version : What IAP plates do you use??

pipertommy
9th Jan 2009, 15:21
I was wondering what IAP plates people are using?
I dont want to buy hundreds of pounds worth of plates!!
Seen this advert, anyone use the gCAP Limited ? Seem quite reasonable.
Basically whats the best value for money?

Thanks
PT.

S-Works
9th Jan 2009, 15:24
Jeppview. Updates every 2 weeks electronically. Priceless if you are flying IFR on a regular basis. If you just want stuff for IMC level use on an occasional basis the AIS site is your best source as they are free.

DB6
9th Jan 2009, 15:26
Best value for money is the UK AIP - they're free. You can size and print them off to your own preference, can't say fairer than that.
This link NATS | AIS - Home (http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=6&Itemid=13.html) may work.

FlyingOfficerKite
9th Jan 2009, 15:51
I agree with all of the above.

KR

FOK :)

pipertommy
9th Jan 2009, 16:08
Ye had a look at the AIP and was impressed. Fine working out DH/MDH against system minimum ect.
Where do you get the RVR minimums listings from as they are not on the plate?

Fuji Abound
9th Jan 2009, 16:13
AIP does just fine and regional AIPs for rest of Europe.

France is here for example:

SIA - La référence en information aéronautique (http://neige.fleurb.jmsp.net/html/frameset_aip_uk.htm)

The only draw back is you may find the occasional plate you might need is not on the AIP - St Mawgan, Newquay Cornwall International or what ever it is called comes to mind in the past.

The only drawback is you cant simply download the lot, but I have the Jepp plates updated on the MDF monthly as well so the paper ones are only a backup for an all electronic cockpit.

For GA use there is an outfit that provide simplified plates that in fact are pretty useful and at minimal cost - cant recall their web site address but I am sure someone will be along to tell us.

pipertommy
9th Jan 2009, 16:50
Could it be gCAP Limited say they are for GA users (CAT A) and you can download individual plate.
Thanks for the link, will come in useful:ok:

BackPacker
9th Jan 2009, 17:15
If you want all of the publicly available plates in one handy location, try Eurocontrol:

EUROCONTROL - The European AIS Database: Introduction to EAD Basic - Home (http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadcms/eadsite/index.php.html)

You need to register (free if you're a pilot) and they're a bit fiddly wrt. Java/HTML support, but once you've gotten through all the windows that are being opened on your way to the "PAMS Light [AIP]" application, you have all the AIP, AIC and other stuff available from all the CAAs around Europe.

tmmorris
10th Jan 2009, 08:02
I use the RAF issue ones (No 1 AIDU) as I fly from an RAF base, and some of the RAF airfields aren't in the civvy guides (e.g. Aerad/Jepp). That said, I have to pay for them and it's rapidly ceasing to be a cheap option; I think I might just switch to Aerad and blag the occasional plate I need for obscure military airfields from Ops!

The plates themselves are produced by Aerad anyway (which for me is the better format).

gCAP have been controversial: some people love them, others find them unacceptably dumbed down. The problem with the AIP plates is that they are designed for A4 and the text is a bit small if you reduce them to A5; I don't know what you fly but for me in a PA28, A4 is unmanageable, really.

Tim

pipertommy
11th Jan 2009, 09:20
Thanks everyone some good advice:ok: