PDA

View Full Version : Temporarily disable AVG free. Can't.

Keygrip
8th Jan 2009, 17:29
:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Mega frustration. What the :mad: am I doing wrong?

I'm finding that AVG Free is being blamed for preventing me from doing certain things.

It seems to be blocking the update of Service Pack 1 to my Vista Ultimate 64 bit on my desktop (though it has allowed SP1 onto Vista Home Premium on my laptop).

I'm also told, by Jeppesen, that it is preventing me from loading their software from proprietary CD Roms.

Both troubleshoots say "Temporarily disable virus scanner" - but I'm buggered if I can find a way to do it.

Brain fade, I'm sure - but when I try whatever I try - the most I seem to be able to do is to close the icon in the system tray (notification area - whatever it's called nowadays).

My next idea is to disable it with a sledgehammer - but I have a suspicion that doing so may make it harder to play solitaire, too.

PLEASE somebody - tell me what to click. Stoopid question, I know.

<<edit: some nasty typos. "Stoopid" was deliberate.>>

exeng
8th Jan 2009, 18:00
Right click icon in system tray and it will give you the option to exit. Do that, load your program and then run AVG again.

Regards
Exeng

Saab Dastard
8th Jan 2009, 18:26
Can you stop the service? Assuming it IS a service!

If you can't, try setting it to disabled and then restart.

SD

stevef
8th Jan 2009, 19:30
You could always terminate the AVG programme by using the Task Manager (Control+Alt+Delete) and restart your PC when the downloads are complete.

Keygrip
8th Jan 2009, 19:31
exeng: That's exactly what i was trying to say - if I right click the icomn, click "Exit" all it does is close down the "Tray Manager" but the actual program(me) still seems to be running and will not let me do what I need - because that's what it's there for.

SD, you mean disable in the start menu, then restart the entire machine?

Hmmm, I'm not very confident in there, I have a pop up sign that says "Here be monsters" (exageration - but you get my drift).

Disable, restart, do the deed(s), re-enable, restart?

Sounds a bit industrial - but still better than my sledgehammer, I suppose.

Any other thoughts before I go to see the monsters?

Stevef: our messages crossed, I'll go try that (comfort zone higher).

BOAC
8th Jan 2009, 20:12
A while now since I ditched AVG due to 'problems' but I recall double click or summat on the tray icon should bring up a control panel where you should be able to stop the AV part?

frostbite
8th Jan 2009, 21:41
It's beginning to look as if AVG is becoming about as desirable as Norton to judge from posts here and elsewhere lately.

BOAC
8th Jan 2009, 21:44
about as desirable as Norton - yes, but I've actually seen 'kind words' on this forum for the 'new' Norton:eek:

Saab Dastard
8th Jan 2009, 22:06
Key,

To stop a service:

Right click My Computer - Manage - Services & applications.

or

Control Panel - Admin Tools - Services

Then Double click on the service, see if STOP works, if not then change startup type to disabled and save and reboot.

At some point when everything is the way you want it, go in and START the service - and return it to startup type - automatic (or manual, if that's what it was).

Of course, if it doesn't run as a service (I thought all AV programs did for security) then this won't help.

SD

Keygrip
8th Jan 2009, 23:47
*Whoooooosh* (The sound of SD's post going straight over my head [at first quick read]).

Update, however: I was forced into moving a tad faster. Went to the little icon in the bottom tray, pulled up the interface - all components running nicely - no way to turn any of them off for a while.

Did the 'exit" bit on the tray manager - that closed, but all componnets still running.

Went to Task manager, found a file under "Processes" called avgtray.exe Stopped the process. Looked under "Services" tab - found one called avg8wd - which said alongside "AVG8 Watchdog". Stopped it.

All components still running.

Had to fully uninstall AVG from both my laptop and my desktop to be able to do what I wanted.

Jeppesen software installed cleanly.

Vista SP1 still refuses to load either automatically through Windows Update or the manual installation proffered by Microsoft.

I've been in a chat session with Microsoft for over three hours as they get me to run diagnostic checks on the files. Seems some of the original Vista files corrupted on their way in to take residence on my hard drive after the computer build.

I'm now in an "Upgrading Windows" session which is driven entirely by the original Vista software disc. "Your upgrade may take several hours to complete" it says here.

Then have to run update again to get anything that came after SP1. Sigh.

Guess I'll then have to re-install AVG (as it's free - and does fairly well).

I'd still be VERY interested to know if anybody discovers a way of "Temporarily disabling AVG".

=^..^=

Forgot to say:

Error code kept coming up when battling SP1 was 0x80070026 - which turns out to be very non-specific.

twiggs
8th Jan 2009, 23:55
Try this from the FAQ's on the AVG site. (http://free.avg.com/faq.num-1237#faq_1237)
(number 1311)

Keygrip
9th Jan 2009, 03:18
twiggs - you are a star!! Perfect, thankyou.

On the previous issue - Reinstalling Vista Ultimate from the original disc.

It churned away for almost three hours and then reported "Upgrade failed: Reverting to a previous version of Windows".

That would suggest to my uneducated brain, that the problem is written onto this disc(as it's the only common denominator).

I'm transferring corrupt files from the DVD to my hard drive and OS.

I didn't *overly* care until I opened Office to check my e-mails. Office 2007 has been affected, files will no longer open, Outlook cannot send/receive. Excel comes up with "stdole32.tlb" error codes.

Logged back into "chat with service technician" (Mumbai) and, whilst waiting for my estimated 28 minutes (number 8 in the queue) they telephoned me to say "We see you waiting to talk - is everything alright now?".

They promise to call back with a level 2 technician at 9am Eastern Standard Time in the morning.

They don't want me to try "system restore" as they want to see exactly what it's doing in the morning.

Thanks again, twiggs.

green granite
9th Jan 2009, 07:37
If you need to stop it completely to install it, use MSconfig in the safe mode to stop it starting.

Keygrip
9th Jan 2009, 12:29
I trook the electronic sledgehammer - fully uninstalled the program(me).

Re-installed in my laptop after successfully installing the Jeppesen software (at last).

This desktop is now, however, very sick - thanks to the Microsoft service technicians in Mumbai. Just turned it on this morning, monitors both showing as normal - but no mouse or keyboard control.

Rebooted and they came up.....but my Office suite is still deceased.

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Frelon
10th Jan 2009, 15:19
I found AVG excellent but slowing the PC down so uninstalled it and loaded Avast Free Download FREE antivirus software - avast! Home Edition (http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html)

Has been excellent and announces (with a reassuring wav sound) that it has updated the virus database.

gpzzone
10th Jan 2009, 15:54
Comodo Internet Security gets my vote, :ok:

........and it's FREE!

Krystal n chips
10th Jan 2009, 16:31
Re AVG, I was going to post a query about a problem I have been encountering for a while now with increasing frequency, and one which is a major irritant when it happens.Having read this thread, I am wondering if there is any connection at all.

In essence, after the daily update, when I go to OE for my mail, I get a caption which says "AVG mail scanner".....this appears and duly blocks all incoming mail for anything up to 24 hrs...then seems to right itself. I am loathe to disable the mail anti-virus protection of course even if this would resolve the problem, but it would seem the only solution at times given that the period has been up to 72hrs before now.

I am using AVG v7 for the moment, but avast has been suggested as a more than capable replacement.

frostbite
10th Jan 2009, 16:40
I have been using Avast (together with ZA) for a number of years and find it excellent.

m0nde
19th Jun 2009, 14:24
I was looking for a solution to the same problem and came across the following:

How to disable AVG Free temporarily (javascript:%20faqshow(1311,0);)

The AVG Free Edition 8.5 software protects your computer on multiple levels. In case you need to disable AVG Free, please consider which part of the protection you need to switch off. The AVG parts and their purpose are:

AVG Resident Shield
The Resident Shield is the main component protecting you from viruses. It scans accessed files and if a virus is found, the access to the file is blocked. This applies to executing infected programs, as well as to opening of infected documents or any other files.
Disabling of the Resident Shield is sometimes recommended before installation of a new software or drivers, since it can prevent conflicts that would otherwise occur during their installation. This however applies only to limited number of specific programs and drivers, and there is no general reason why AVG Resident Shield should interfere with an installation of any application.
To disable the Resident Shield, please:
Open AVG User Interface.
Double-click on the Resident Shield.
Un-tick the option Resident Shield active.
Save the changes. Please do not forget to activate the Resident Shield again once you performed the tasks requiring its deactivation.
AVG E-mail Scanner
The AVG E-mail Scanner may affect your sending/receiving of e-mails, since it is designed to scan the messages and needs to access them in some way. The way of accessing the messages depends on your e-mail client, but only the Personal E-mail Scanner plugin can interfere with the communication between your computer and the e-mail server.
To disable the Personal E-mail Scanner (if it is installed), please:
Ppen AVG User Interface.
In menu Tools select Advanced settings.
Go to E-mail Scanner - Servers - POP3, and click on the POP3 server (usually AutoPOP3:10110).
Un-tick the option Activate this server and use it for receiving e-mails.
Repeat the same for SMTP server. Please enable the servers that were enabled originally again when possible.Confusion arises when people try to turn off the main antivirus component, but fail to reaize that what they want to turn off is either "Resident Shield" or "Email Scanner".Hope that helps.

rotorcraig
23rd Jun 2009, 13:47
Used AVG Free for many years and was an advocate.

But recently it has become larger footprint, and there seem to many update related hassles and errors?

I have also moved to Avast! and find it works well.

RC

Keef
23rd Jun 2009, 14:01
Another former AVG user and recommender who has dumped it and gone to Avast.

BOAC
24th Jun 2009, 09:10
..and another. So far no issues at all with Avast.

SeldomFixit
27th Jun 2009, 05:31
Seems an opportune time to ask:
AVG vs AVAST vs Eset NOD32
I have full, paid version of NOD32 but not all I'd thought it would be.
AVG and AVAST trial versions recently used. Do full versions of either offer enough to justify the cost ?
Has anyone used all 3 and are there any yardstick opinions as to which is " least worse"?
SF

Fark'n'ell
27th Jun 2009, 07:37
AVG

Wouldn't touch it with 40 foot barge pole.Absolute crap.(Like Norton)

Tarq57
27th Jun 2009, 10:59
For anyone considering uninstalling AVG and moving to another AV (I'm a very happy and un-stressed Avast user) this uninstaller (http://www.avg.com/download-tools), from the AVG site, could be a must.
Uninstall in the normal fashion, then run the appropriate tool, (there's one for 32bit, the second for 64) and a reboot somewhere during this process might be indicated.
AVG also installs a BHO, Linkscanner I believe it's called, that may need to be uninstalled separately. Altogether it has become quite a bloated bit of kit, from many accounts. And the protection/removal of the free version might leave something to be desired.
(Avast, on the other hand, boasts the same detection/removal in the free and the pro. Just don't expect to be able to schedule a scan, or automatically handle actions if anything is found during a scan.)

Frankly, having used Avast for a couple of years, if I missed the features unavailable in the free version, I'd be quite happy to purchase the pro. I think it's as good as any of them, and better than a lot. (They could be a bit more pro-active at adding malware definitions at times, for some malicious files.)

There will be a new version af Avast out in a month or two. Version 5. I think the current version will remain supported for a few more months after that. (If anyone is really interested I can try and find out.)

PS, mostly, it is not possible to have more than one AV installed, even if one is disabled or inactive. Full removal, using the appropriate tool if available, is necessary in most cases, before installing another one.
(Naturally, all required packages should be downloaded first, then the uninstalling done offline.)
Failure to do so can result in all sorts of hiccups, quite often a while after installation, and it is possible that the OP might be as a result of this.
New machines often ship with all sorts of bundled crap. Not all of it uninstalls cleanly.

BOAC
27th Jun 2009, 11:08
Just don't expect to be able to schedule a scan - don't forget as ?Keef? pointed out a while back, MS Task Sheduler is good for that.

Tarq57
27th Jun 2009, 11:11
Absolutely. It's a workaround.
I've found full scans have not turned up anything.
Second opinion scans (from other applications) have shown that is because there is nothing to detect.
Says it all, really.