PDA

View Full Version : MD Helicopter questions

starflex3
8th Jan 2009, 11:07
Two questions today ladies and gentlemen.

Question One: The MD 600N does it have hydraulic controls at all or is it like its smaller brother the 500 with none?

Question Two: What is the MD Explorer like to fly and own, we have none in Australia and have always liked the look of them. Seeing that MD Helicopters have turn themselves around thanks to Lyn Tilton, I was wondering if they will be selling a few more and how the compare to say the EC-135 and EC145?

FloaterNorthWest
8th Jan 2009, 11:15
Starflex3,

You don't know what you have started!!!!

All of the MD beaters will come out of the woodwork after being dormant for so long.

The MD902 is a comparable if not better aircraft than the EC135. The EC145 is bigger but older technology.

FNW

Flying Binghi
8th Jan 2009, 11:22
...we have none in Australia

...is there a local dealer ? ......:E

500e
8th Jan 2009, 18:22
MD Helicopters - American Pride Rising to New Heights (http://www.mdhelicopters.com/products.php?id=MD_EXPLORER)

And for something a little smaller

MD Helicopters - American Pride Rising to New Heights (http://www.mdhelicopters.com/products.php?id=MD_600N) :ok:

Fly the dream fly 500

Phil77
8th Jan 2009, 18:30
http://www.mdhelicopters.com/helicopters/pdf/600N/system_description.pdf
MD
SYSTEM DESCRIPTION600NŽ
[...]
3.6. Flight Controls
Primary flight controls in the MD 600NŽ are designed to be lightweight, simple to use and easy to maintain. Equally important, they are designed to eliminate the need for hydraulic controls. All main rotor controls in the MD 600NŽ are of the push tube type. There are no grease fittings in the controls and required maintenance is minimized.

starflex3
8th Jan 2009, 22:22
There is a dealer sort of in Brisbane I believe, we dont have very many 500's and only 1 600N and no 900's.

RotaryRat
9th Jan 2009, 01:54
It has always interested me why in Australia we have hardly any MD products (NOTAR generation anyway) kind of like the Enstrom, been around for 40 years or so (MD500C/F-28 etc) yet rare on our shores.

I understand that the 520N is a niche machine, really only good as a 4 seater and you wouldn't need one over a R44 for scenics, but as light utility maybe.

The 600N seems quite capable with 7 pax and C47 turboshaft, same engine as B407 and 1 extra pax station, is it consumer hesitation over the recent uncertainty of the company in general or local servicing/parts issues?

Would be nice to see some of these beasts in southern skies!

starflex3
9th Jan 2009, 02:12
Yes it would be.
Does anyone know what happened to the one and only 600N VH-ATH formerly owned by Renee Rivkin then Eddie Groves?
Now that MD have from all account good back up service now, hopefully we will start seeing more MD's here.

Freewheel
9th Jan 2009, 03:05
I understand that the 600 is best used with 6 pax. 7 pax make it unable to get out of sight of the takeoff point (allegedly, I've only ever stood on the step and looked in at one).

The 900 does look to be very good, especially now the thruster has gained an extra few inches.....

I seem to recall it's a bit short legged though - for those operating them, is it really 2.4 hrs until it goes quiet?

Skid Bighter
9th Jan 2009, 05:36
So can you get any bigger windows in the back for a 902? It doesn't look like a clients machine.

Runway101
9th Jan 2009, 05:45
Windows view from inside (VIP config):
http://www.mdhelicopters.com/gallery/MDExplorerPix/M-1J.jpg

ChopperFAN
9th Jan 2009, 06:22
Nice interior... im sure whats outside isnt really that important anyhow for many in VIP

I always wondered why they designed it with such small cab windows tho

There have been a few Notars in Australia, Ive seen a photo from captain hollywood with a Australian helicopters 520N taking off in the background

There was white and blue 520N in adelaide recently and i missed it, was with a simular painted 500 for a few days at parafield

The ex rivkin 600N was in a tv show when it was new, the chopper came in and landed on the back of a criminals boat

It would be good to see a 900/902 in Australia... feel free to lend me the dosh :oh:

Simon :ok:

Skid Bighter
9th Jan 2009, 06:41
Wow, thats not bad. Maybe our clients wouldn't have a problem with the windows after all. They wouldn't have much else to complain about by the looks.

rvl
7th Feb 2012, 16:13
Hy all,
Can you tell me what is the difference btw the MD900 and MD902 which is necessary to CAT A approval? I found different, and not exact reasons for it, and I am interested in the real reason...

Fly_For_Fun
7th Feb 2012, 17:30
Are MD helicopters not going out of business?

HueyDog
7th Feb 2012, 18:11
Fly For Fun, come on man, didn't you read the first post?? Lyn Tilton turned it around...

vfr440
7th Feb 2012, 18:23
As I understand it original type certificate identifies the machine as 900. The type with all the Bells and Whistles including the autopilot and the Cat A modifications makes it a 902 configuration (of the TC 900 - if that doesn't confuse things too much) - VFR

Fly_For_Fun
7th Feb 2012, 19:35
She has turned some heads I know that. :ok:

PANews
7th Feb 2012, 22:50
We may know some more at the end of the week... the basic 500 in all its forms is being produced at a fair rate mainly thanks to orders from Boein but lately the 900 has not been featuring.

It is likely that there will be a new Explorer at HAI this week but it will likely be an equipment change rather than growing something obvious like 2 tails or an extra row of seats.

The 900 was the original model but it did not comply with JAR27 so was sent back to the workshops for major mods so it could honour that first big order for ten police machines for PAS into the UK in 1994.

Mods mainly related to seperating the engines and fuel tanks but it was pretty major to actually acheive it and the Belgian Police are currently upgrading each of their 900s to 902 standard.

JimL
8th Feb 2012, 07:19
rvl,

You will find the answer in Appendix C to FAR/JAR/CS OPS 27.

Jim

Tech-B
13th Feb 2012, 08:43
Something to consider before you buy the MD's is the problem to get parts. Currently we're operating a couple of MD's and we need to put at least one in the hangar al the time, as spare parts can't be delivered. So we're swapping parts all the time to keep at least some part of the fleet flying.
The rumour is that parts are only made on request to avoid investing... :rolleyes:

B1.3 Drifter
14th Feb 2012, 13:18
Starflex

I sent you a PM

902 over 135 any day

PANews
14th Feb 2012, 13:41
Just to correct my recent post - there is no change in the status of the 'new' 902.... it simply has not happened and the latest information from the CEO, Lynn Tilton, is that they have yet to agree terms for the new glass cockpit. As a result the booth here in Dallas was pretty much the same old same old.

The moans on the floor of the show are also consistent in that for some spares are just hard to get and will remain so as long as there is a small 902 fleet - that isn't much of a US problem more European where the main fleet is.

Since posting this I learned that the pre-Heli-Expo rumour was that the new glass cockpit was well and truly imminent. Well I am not sure where that came from but I am sure I heard Ms Tilton say it will be 18 months before its around ..... and that suggests it may be HAI 2013 before we hear any more on that - if then.

B1.3 Drifter
14th Feb 2012, 14:09
There doesn't appear to currently be an MD agent in Oz so your closest would be Skysales Aviation - Suppliers of Helicopters and Helicopter Parts, Christchurch, New Zealand. (http://www.skysales.co.nz/index.asp)

Depending on what your want it for, These guys have a second hand HEMS one for sale on their books Oceania-Aviation | Home (http://www.oceania-aviation.com/home.aspx)