PDA

View Full Version : I smell a deal, but...

Loose rivets
8th Jan 2009, 02:31
It's a Sony VGNCR510ER, the laptop that I would have liked when I was buying mine, but it cost too much. On sale here as 'On floor' model, $645. As is.

Trouble is, it don't go. They thought it did, but it don't.

The screen seems to be active, but has no back light. One can just see some change as it is turned off etc.. Intriguingly, it has two controls to turn off the screen, I wondered if it might just be one or both of those. I offered $345, and it's being put to the manager.

What kind of fault causes this on a new machine...one that has been bolted to the display for all of its life? Hinge wiring used to be one culprit, but not on something that has the lid fixed in the up position, surely?

My last Vaio was an insurance write-off, the 1,350 quid board I was able to breath life into for nowt and I've used it for 10 years, so I'm pre-enthused about performing the same trick with this. Trouble is, that it's got one of those formed ally cases, in posh red...hard to open without marking, I would guess.

The other thing was a Sony GPS U94T $199. At half price, it seems a heck of a deal. Anyone know if Sony present a good interface on this model? It'll show yer pictures, play videos and make toast, but is it a good tool to navigate with? One would think that had to come first.

Rossian
8th Jan 2009, 10:50
A few years ago I spent 2 weeks in a French navy diesel sub. The No2 was v proud of the fact that they had a laptop for analysing some of the data they'd gathered. However after a about four days spent creeping around at slow speed, completely submerged, the condensation levels got very high - ie almost raining. The lap top screen was covered in condensation and required drying before switch on. As I came into the wardroom (more like a wardrobe) there was No2 wielding a hairdryer to remove the damp. I then noticed that was actually an electric paint stripper!! "Attention no. deux attention!" "Pas de problem" says he. Someone then shouted from the ops room for a decision from him "Um Um". In those couple of seconds inattention screen melts over the keyboard! "Merde!!!!!" Captain not amused.
I retreat to my bunk among the torpedoes, giggling.
The Ancient Mariner

green granite
8th Jan 2009, 13:22
Used to have quite a lot of problems with 'dead LCD monitors in pub gaming M/Cs, used to change the back light driver board and normality was restored, not certain whether all monitors have separate boards though.

ORAC
8th Jan 2009, 13:52
Connect an external monitor, reboot and when it should be up and running hit FN+F7 toggles between the laptop display, the external display and both. if there is no external display it is a bad video chip.

FN+F6 increases the display lighting, just in case anyone has set it to zero.

Loose rivets
8th Jan 2009, 15:52
Soon as I've finished a job on the car, I'll get back to them.

There's a little button top right that says something like Screen off. I wondered if the permutation between the two ways of losing the screen may have fooled them. Anyone know just what that button is for - I know, screen off, - but other laptops don't seem to have this.

EDIT Roger the external monitor. In the aviation sense that is!:}

They will let me bring it home if I pay the $645, and give a full refund with a day or so. They did talk about me sending it off under guarantee. Really odd. Try to find out more today GMT -6

ORAC
9th Jan 2009, 06:02
LR, when in doubt - RTFM.... (http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=VGNCR510ER&LOC=3) :E

Page 32: DISPLAY OFF button - Turns off the LCD backlight.

Wader2
9th Jan 2009, 09:57
LR,

Their offer to trade was $645. Your counter offer was $345. They would not budge. Walk away.

Go back next week etc. Show you remain interested and your offer remains. At $645 they win and you lose.

Loose rivets
9th Jan 2009, 16:51
ORAC I went back to that site, and bolstered by your post, I looked further than the Locating controls section - which does not have that button listed.:ugh: But further down, Using etc. clearly states what the invisible button does. Double :ugh:

My new NR498E is actually quite nice - apart from the keyboard. The screen quality is outstanding for that price range. ( I paid $645 - on sale but with normal guarantees ) The 510 ER seems to have that little bit more build quality and a much more pleasant keyb.

As for the reason they didn't send it back...the plot thickens.:confused: