PDA

View Full Version : No longer HM Customs and Excise?

Keygrip
7th Jan 2009, 02:18
Got this in my "Junk" mail folder this evening....

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/images/logo.gif

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined that
you are eligible to receive a tax refund of Ј 99.23.
Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 3-6 days in order to
process it.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons.
For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

To access the form for your tax refund, please [COLOR="Blue"]Click here

Best Regards,
HM Revenue & Customs
© Copyright 2009, HM Revenue & Customs UK All rights reserved.
TAX REFUND ID: A29R113

....thank goodness I was able to catch it, so I can now apply for my J99.23 refund.

All I have to do is click on that little link.

I wonder what the J to $ exchange rate is just now?

If anybody cares, the return address for the British Government department is now [email protected]

m_j_berry
7th Jan 2009, 03:44
Don't click that link!

Yikes...that URL looks very suspicious to me. Sorry if that's what you intended to point out, but it looks like very much like a phishing scam to me. The link starts

XAMPP Version 1.6.7 ... and that's not the Revenue.

Note to mods: might be worth deleting the "click here" link in the post above just in case anyone doesn't notice. The site *could* theoretically install spyware just by exploiting well-known browser security issues.

m_j_berry
7th Jan 2009, 03:52
(Follow up to last post)

That IP location is registered in Copenhagen, Denmark

xraydice
7th Jan 2009, 05:15
"Best Regards,
HM Revenue & Customs"

yep thats the give away !!

Background Noise
7th Jan 2009, 07:37
Notwithstanding the fishing nature of your email, it hasn't been customs and excise for a while - HM Revenue & Customs: Home Page (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/index.htm). C and E must have merged with Inland Revenue at some stage.

Just found this:

The Commissioners for Revenue and Customs Bill which will provide the authority to integrate Inland Revenue and HM Customs & Excise and create HMRC was introduced to Parliament on 25 November. The Chancellor announced his decision to create HMRC in Budget 2004, following the recommendations of the Gus O’Donnell’s review of tax administration, .......

so I guess you left before 2004?

amanoffewwords
7th Jan 2009, 09:06
Funny how you're not allowed to post links on certain parts of this site but it's ok to do so for phishing sites :ugh:

Keygrip
7th Jan 2009, 12:33
m j - many thanks for the PM, but yes, it was what I was getting at. Thanks again for the concern.

Manoffew...good point. I *assumed* that the readers here were suitably suspicious and therefore safe to share with - but you're right.

Background - interesting stuff. Thanks - wasn't aware of the name change.

Background Noise
8th Jan 2009, 16:14
This is on the UK national news now. Apparently it's fairly widespread and timing is due to the self-assessment tax-return deadline of January 31st.

berliner57
8th Jan 2009, 18:33
Have had clients receive this e mail, told them to disregard it as Revenue & customs would never contact you in this manner.

Whirlygig
8th Jan 2009, 21:55
HMR&C would certainly never contact anyone in that manner and any email addresses would end hmrc.gov.uk not co.uk.

Cheers

Whirls

Saab Dastard
8th Jan 2009, 22:11
That's right guv, gov.

:)

Wader2
9th Jan 2009, 10:20
Yeah, they contacted me all right, by letter. i have paid the ******** the money they asked for.

I think the scammers made an error. Rather than offering a refund, they should have demanded a sum of money, say £65.65 by 31 Jan or the possibility of a £100 fine. That way they would have got both the payment details and 65 sheets up front while you tried to avoid the fine. Given the 31st is a Saturday a good time to send out the emails would have been the 30th.:E

Background Noise
9th Jan 2009, 11:16
they should have demanded a sum of moneyAnd far more believable than a refund.

Keygrip
9th Jan 2009, 12:22
Especially a refund paid in "J's".

J 99.23 I wonder what that would buy me. A car, or a donut?

I only posted this to raise a smirk on the faces of the scam spotters - didn't expect it to 'run'.

=^..^=