PDA

View Full Version : JAA ATPL(A) to FAA ATPL(A)

JimbosJet
6th Jan 2009, 21:45
Hi there, i was hoping someone would shed some light into the process and steps required to convert a JAA ATPL(A) (unfrozen) to an FAA ATP licence.

As far as I'm aware I have to take a few FAA ground exams and do a GFT and or type rating and thats pretty much it. However I'm still vague on the exact details of what is required and what exams I have to sit.

I have some time on my hands whilst I try and find another job after my last company sadly went under just before Christmas and think that getting my FAA licence may open up some otherwise unobtainable execjet positions. I don't believe it would cost too much to do and is at least a step to improving my employment chances (if only by a little!). I leave it to you to prove me wrong on this.

On the type rating side of things, would a type rating obtained on FAA licence be valid (no doubt with a fee) on my JAA ATPL as well? Potentially trying to kill two birds with one stone on this one, although I have no doubt I already know the answer!

Thanks in advance.

springbokflyer145
7th Jan 2009, 09:28
Some info for you here as I converted my JAA ATPL to an FAA ATPL 2 years ago.

Whilst I was completing a type rating in Houston Texas, I thought it was a good opportunity to convert at the same time.
I went to a ATP Academy( FAA CPL/ATPL Test centre) which offered the ground school. The website is www.atpflightschool.com (http://www.atpflightschool.com)

I started at 8am and sat in front of a computer going through 1500 questions of which they will ask 75 or 85 questions. They will give you all the formulae's you need for the mass and balance questions etc etc so you dont get surprised.
I went through the questions for about 4-5 hours and then when you feel ready they will set up the pc based exam which is exactly as the practice questions.
I think the exam was about 3 hours but if you are able to go through all the questions and remember them then it should not take so long. Some differences from JAA but nothing massive. I had a few on being current, holding alts overhead military and civil airfields, runway and taxi markings and at least 8 on mass and balance on loading palats.

After passing that one theory ground exam, I completed the flight test (LST) in the sim when I did my check ride and the rest was just paperwork.

A month later in the post arrived my FAA ATPL licence card.

So basically:

I x theory exam
1 x check ride in sim or flight test
1 x medical but they accepted my JAA class 1 so was no need

Like I said this was 2 years ago so maybe some things have changed but get hold of ATP if you in the states or i think there is a company called GlennAir here in the UK that also do the conversion. www.glennair.co.uk (http://www.glennair.co.uk).

Hope this helps and good luck:ok:

JimbosJet
11th Jan 2009, 08:56
Great, thanks for the run-down. Any idea of cost to do this?

Also, how easy and what is required to put an FAA type rating onto a JAA licence?

springbokflyer145
12th Jan 2009, 22:28
Hey Jimbo,

The cost to do the theory is not alot. If I remember it was between $100 and $200. Not alot mate.
The test itself is pretty easy if you have some commercial experience but not unobtainable if you have none. Just sit and go through all the exam questions. If you do it through Glennair( i think its them that do it), you get given the book of questions so you can go through them a good few times. If you do it through ATP in the states, its all computer based but you get loads of time to go through them.

To put the FAA type rating onto the JAA licence, I had to go to Le bourget, Flight Safety, and pass the initial written exam again (on type) and then into the sim for an LST. Then off 2 Gatwick with the paperwork and a credit card. 2 hours later it was on my JAR licence

Hope this helps mate.

Good luck :ok: