PDA

View Full Version : Hour building in USA: how to pay?

mattia_70
6th Jan 2009, 17:41
Sorry guys, maybe a little bit off topic.

I will do hour building for a month in USA in a few days.

I wonder: if I get to the spending limit of my two credit cards, what is the best way to get US dollars from UK (or Italy, my two credit cards) to US?

I do not want to go there with plenty of cash in the first place because I do not want to have too much cash around and second because changing money is costly. Obviously they will not accept cheques either from UK or italian banks.

I can use my cash card to get money from an ATM whenever I need but I have a day limit.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks

LH2
6th Jan 2009, 20:32
How much does your bank charge you for the use of ATMs abroad? My European banks want 4% (my American bank 0%) It might cost you about as much to use an ATM as exchanging over the counter.

Alternatives: Get your bank to (temporarily) increase your spending limit, traveller's cheques, Western Union (check their fees Italy/UK -> US first), bank transfer, postal transfer, Paypal (in a pinch), gold bullion, munitions of war (very popular), industrial secrets, sell your body... I'm running out of ideas here :E

jxc
6th Jan 2009, 20:36
Speak to your bank and ask if they will increase your daily limit but withdrawing cash on a credit card is very expensive

maybe your bank has a branch in America you may then be able to open a temp account and then do an international transfer very little charges that way

Cheers
JXC

nh2301
6th Jan 2009, 21:00
Just prepay on the credit card.

I reccomend Nationwide, their cards have no fees for international transactions.

FrankAbagnale
7th Jan 2009, 13:47
mate if you can get amex travellers cheques then you can open a bank account in usa and deposit them there without incurring a single cent of charges. or you can cash them at any gas station from time to time.
by the way, where are you doing your hour building, as I am interested in completing some hour building in the US, would be great if you can recommend a few organisations.

chongololo
7th Jan 2009, 14:51
Just make sure that you don't pre-pay for any training or aircraft rental at any school or FBO unless you are 100% sure that they are reputable.
Some folks have lost a lot of money by being ripped off by schools who took their money then closed the doors.
You might be able to run a tab at the school then pay for it all in one transaction on your card thereby avoiding fees for each transaction if you did it seperately.
Good luck.

PilotPieces
7th Jan 2009, 15:07
Why not pay in small chunks on your credit card? Might even get a discount for the aircraft rental.

I wouldn't risk paying for more than 10 hours at a time though.

corsair
7th Jan 2009, 16:13
Lodge money to the credit card sufficient to cover the costs. Then you'll never approach your limit.

I don't know how it works in Italy. But I did on my card when I was in the US. The credit card company even paid interest.

mattia_70
10th Jan 2009, 12:42
Thanks to everybody for the suggestions (and for the irony also. I know it would come. I appreciate ;-))

I will not certainly pay big sums in advance.

For those who asked, I will do the first hours at Ormond Beach Aviation and then decide if to stay or move around. All I know about the different organizations come from browsing Pprune so no suggestions from me.

Cheers