PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry/Wifi

vancouv
6th Jan 2009, 16:48
Having just got a Blackberry for Xmas, I'm trying to get it to connect to my WiFi (which works fine with my laptop and desktop).

When I search for networks, mine shows up along with the usual suspects from the neighbours. Mine is labelled WPA-Personal while next doors is labelled WEP.

If I try to connect to mine it it says 'Security Type: Pre-Shared Key (PSK)' and prompts me for a Pre-Shared Key. Entering my WEP, which is the only thing I'm aware of and what I've used before, doesn't work.

However, if I try to connect to my neighbours it comes up with 'Security Type: WEP' and prompts for a WEP key - what I would expect mine to do.

This sounds like my wireless is asking for a something other than the WEP - does anyone know what that might be, and how can I find it?

green granite
6th Jan 2009, 17:17
From the blackberry site hopefully useful. Note that the 'enter the wep/wpa code appears only to work with a T Mobile router so you are on a manual set up I think

Fist go to Manage Connections from the home screen, and then go to Set Up WiFi Network.
After that you can either; Scan For Networks, Manually Add Network, or Get Security Key.
Most users will inevitabely go with the first one, Scan For Networks, and if you select that one your device will begin to scan for available WiFi connections. Make sure that WiFi is turned on or else you will get a message telling you to do just that.
In less than one minute you should have a list of the available WiFi networks in your area. You can then choose one of the networks in your list. If you choose an unsecured network you should be connected automatically, however, if you choose a secured network then you will be asked for a security key.
If you choose the second option, Manually Add Network, then you will need to enter the network name, the type of security, as well as the security key. Your BlackBerry should then be able to connect to the network if all of your information is correct. If you don’t have all of that information, you will not be able to connect using the second option.
If you choose the third option, Get Security Key, then you will need a T-Mobile router, and on that router you would press the Key button to receive the security key and connect to a WiFi network. You can find more information about that in the T-Mobile router quick start guide, as well as your WiFi connection wizard. If you do not have a T-Mobile router, then this option is not an option for you.

Saab Dastard
6th Jan 2009, 17:38
WEP is an older, less secure, encryption standard that was replaced with WPA - and then WPA2.

Your network is called WPA-Personal, so you must be using WPA.

You need to enter the correct key as prompted - this should be visible in the wifi router "wireless security" section (or whatever it is called on your router).

It is a hexadecimal number between 8 and 63 characters in length - e.g. af16af3c75f3edc8ad0ab27c58. The more characters the stronger the key! And no, that isn't mine! ;)

Note that some routers allow you to type in a word or phrase that the router then uses to generate a hex key. The attached devices must use the hex key, not the original phrase.

Note also that for the Security Mode (WPA Personal), the WPA Algorithms (TKIP / AES) and WPA Shared Key must also match on the router and all connected devices.

SD

rotorcraig
6th Jan 2009, 17:41
There is nothing different in setting up a Blackberry on wifi than setting up your laptop.

Either your router is set up for WEP encryption, in which case you need to select that and enter the WEP key, or it's set up for WPA-PSK in which case select that and enter the PSK. Exactly the same as you did when you set up the laptop.

The only other potential problem would be if your router has MAC Address restrictions enabled. If so you need to turn that off on the router, connect the Blackberry, add it's MAC Address to the accepted list and then re-enable MAC Address restriction.

RC

rotorcraig
6th Jan 2009, 17:48
It is a hexadecimal number between 8 and 63 characters in length - e.g. af16af3c75f3edc8ad0ab27c58. The more characters the stronger the key! And no, that isn't mine! http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/wink2.gif

Note that some routers allow you to type in a word or phrase that the router then uses to generate a hex key. The attached devices must use the hex key, not the original phrase.

WPA-PSK takes any string of 8 to 63 characters, not limited to a hex number. So could be Th1sI5MyWPAP5KK3y. And no, that is't mine! :ok:

WEP takes a phrase that generates hex keys.

As Saab said, your network name suggests WPA-PSK so if you look on your router and enter the same phrase into the Blackberry it should be good to go.

Upper & lower case characters are important, and it can be difficult to get the numbers and letters in the right places if you're not confident with the Blackberry keyboard yet so take care.

vancouv
8th Jan 2009, 08:55
Thanks for your answers. I doublechecked everything and tried again - and it worked! Working in the IT industry I'm used to the excuse that I haven't changed anything, that's exactly what I did before, etc. etc.

I'm sure I did change something, but I've no idea what:ugh: