PDA

View Full Version : Open university degree

nick14
6th Jan 2009, 15:35
Hello all,

First of all: Happy new year:ok:

Just a quick one to see if anyone has done an open university degree whilst flying in order to have a back up in the dreaded loss of medical scenario.

I was looking into a buisness degree to do whilst flying (as I only have A levels) just incase my eyes give up on me:sad: (or something equally frightening)

Many Thanks
Nick

AIRWAY
6th Jan 2009, 18:16
Hello,

I am doing an OU degree while, working, flying and family... You must have bags of motivation, and strong will power because it will get you down, you can be on track and then when you notice you are heading off track (degree wise), due to the fact that you are your own teacher and student, so lots of concentration is a must!

Apart from that I love OU! Very professional, excellent support, great tutors/lectures and books.

Good Luck!

PilotPieces
6th Jan 2009, 18:31
Don't want to side track the thread but what courses are people doing because I know they are limited at the open uni?

Mikehotel152
6th Jan 2009, 18:32
Or you can do a degree before you become a commercial pilot, enjoy a life of debauchery when you're student age, and still have something to fall back on. :E

Mike.Park
6th Jan 2009, 21:57
Hey Nick,

I study with the Open University and have a successfully completed some of their business studies courses. As airways was saying, they are pretty professional and I know the OU have won quite a few tenders to offer further education & training to employees at Airbus, the UK CAA, and the flying wing of the Royal Navy.

Like anything else in life, the more you put in, the more you get out of it.

You won't be studying in complete isolation (unless of course you want to). :}
You'll be allocated a tutor for every course you take and you'll receive phone calls from him/her to discuss your performance, course concepts etc. You'll also be assigned dates for face-to-face tutorials which usually takes place at a university in your catchment area. Tutorial attendance is optional but recommended. You get to meet your tutor and everyone else on the same course as yourself.

There's some interesting info on the OU here (http://www.independent.co.uk/student/into-university/az-uni-colleges/open-university-459014.html).

PM me if you've got any questions.

Mike :ok:

agent.oen
7th Jan 2009, 05:17
As mentioned, do it the other way round... Get a degree first and then you should be able to even save some money from your university degree job to pay for your licenses. I got 2 degrees and don't regret the time I spent studying for them rather than starting off early in the flying career. I have a very good plan B at hand just in case.

AO

nick14
7th Jan 2009, 09:38
Many thanks to all who have replied,

For those saying do it the other way round:
I have an fATPL and will be starting a flying job in march. The reason I didnt go to uni before was because I couldn't afford to. It was either that or flying, so I chose the flying.

I will definatly consider it later in the year, after all, its not going to hinder me having a degree now is it!

Nick

Mike.Park
7th Jan 2009, 19:08
I have an fATPL and will be starting a flying job in march

As your starting work in March, I guess you'll be studying on a part-time basis irregardless of your choice of institution.

nick14
8th Jan 2009, 08:23
Yes that is the plan,

As the flying will be quite busy im leaning towards OU as its so flexible in terms of your working pattern and minimal institution attendance.

Nick

Mike.Park
10th Jan 2009, 04:47
Nick,

Another option that might be of interest to you is the relatively new 2 year fast-track degrees being offered by a few universities. You earn a full honours degree in 2 academic years. If studied on a part-time basis, this would take 4 years.

Interesting article here (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/good_university_guide/article4165813.ece).

Mikee