PDA

View Full Version : Could use some advise

Quinten84
6th Jan 2009, 11:27
Hi everyone !

I'm having a little dilemma, currently I'm working on my hour building for CPL SE and planning on doing the CPL ME in the US.
This means, I have my PPL and my IR. I have about 150 TT. So I still need 100h before I can take my CPL exams. My goal is to get a Job in europe. Since I'm from Belgium, I can work in EU. So no problems there.
Why I went to the states? Because of the cost and the practical experience of flying.

now, I came home for the holidays and I contacted the school I wanted to go to. BAFA in Antwerpen ( After I finished my CPL SE and ME)
They told me that I had to do
- my PPL again ( all groundschool and flying 45h )
- then my ATPL(theory) with distance learning
- IR also 45h of flying
- CPL

in short, non of the hours I got in the states count for something, not pic, not night, not time on IFR flightplan ...

now I was told that I could use some of my hours ( PIC) that I had in the states. That I only had to fly for 10h or 15h on instrument, and about 10h on commercial.
(This should be the case when I finish up my CPL in the states! )

Is this possible ? does this depend on the school ? and what would be the best option then?
finish with my CPL SE ME in the US or come to Europe and just start with all my JAA licences ?

this may be asked before, I used the search to see the Faa to Jaa conversions, but did not really find an answer for my question.

thx in advance !!

Whirlygig
6th Jan 2009, 11:47
What BAFA have told you is absolute rubbish.

Assuming you have an FAA PPL(A) and FAA IR(A) and 150 hours, you are entitled to start the JAA ATPL study immediately. You are also entitled to start the CPL flying training (once you've passed the exams). You do not need a JAA PPL and even if you did, it would be theory exams plus retraining as required for a JAA conversion; certainly not the full 45 hour course.

Your IR can be converted to JAA with a minimum of 15 hours (may take longer) after you've passed the ATPL exams.

Google LASORS and download a copy; that should help.

Cheers

Whirls

Keygrip
6th Jan 2009, 11:57
Quinten, slow down, breathe deep.

When discussing licences and ratings - it's much easier if you say which countries are involved.

The flight time that you have now, and the licences that you have now - can you explain where you got them, what you were doing to get them (solo cross country, safety pilot watching a colleague, training with an instructor, solo in the circuit and short flights to tghe nearest airport, what aircraft type...).

What licences and ratings/limitations do you already hold - and from which country?

PM if you prefer not to post all this on the public pages of PPRuNe.

I agree with most of Whirls response - but if talking about Belgium then *DON'T* read LASORS. It's writtemn for the UK CAA and, in places, is NOT JAA compliant.