PDA

View Full Version : Lotus Approach & Vista

Brewster Buffalo
5th Jan 2009, 19:36
I want to transfer a Lotus Approach database onto a vista running computer. This program isn't produced anymore but it is still for sale as part of the Lotus Smart Suite software.

This program isn't compatible with Vista but I've read on the net(!) that it can be used when vista is set to run as XP.

Anyone tried using Vista on a XP database program??

Saab Dastard
5th Jan 2009, 20:31
Do you mean "run Approach executable" on Vista, or transfer the database to another application?

Approach is compatible with Vista 32-bit editions, according to IBM, but not with Vista SP1.

Interestingly, it also has problems with XP SP3.

If you can export the database in a common format (delimited text file of some sort), I'm sure you could pull it (the data) into Access or similar.

Assumes you can find a PC to run Approach on, though!

SD

Brewster Buffalo
5th Jan 2009, 21:12
Thanks for reply SD

The approach files are in dbf format which I'd guess will work with another program though I think I would lose my approach styled reports..

On another tack Access is £80 whilst a copy of smart suite is only £14 but it looks a non-runner now as I'm sure I will have been updated to SP1 on Vista...

BB

planecrazy.eu
5th Jan 2009, 22:52
How about OpenOffice Base?

Free database, that for most would be as good as the MS and other paid offerings.

Not sure if you can open lotus files direct in it though, maybe worth a try.

Brewster Buffalo
17th Jan 2009, 20:35
The answer is yes..approach will run on 32bit vista provided when loading you do it via explorer and the setup.exe rather than an autorun install.

So far no need to run in Vista XP mode.