PDA

View Full Version : Aerobatics

Tony_Soprano17
5th Jan 2009, 18:24
Hi all,

Just throwing this question out to everyone. Has anyone had any experience of doing a beginners or introduction aerobatics course in florida. I'm going to be heading over to the states to do some hour building in a few months and would like to do an aerobatics course whilst i am there.

Any experiences or recommendations would be great.
Also if you suggest steering clear of doing it in america let me know too.

pilotbear
5th Jan 2009, 18:33
best to it with someone who can give you the AOPA aerobatic syllabus and certificate. I don't know who in Florida though. Nothing wrong with training in the USA, planes don't fall out of the sky just because they are under FAA rules. Just don't hour build from VOR to VOR that is a waste of time. Aerobatics, seaplane, IMC rating, advanced Navigation training all good stuff to do.
Also, fly into Orlando, Sanford, Miami international, Fort Lauderdale and Key West as much as possible for practice. Also out to the Bahamas:ok:

sapperkenno
6th Jan 2009, 04:31
...because everybody does right?

Have you considered anywhere over this side, such as Arizona or California? If aerobatics are your thing you might wanna try Chandler Air Service (http://www.aerobatics.com) and have a look around that site.

I can thoroughly recommend them, as a UK citizen having done time building, FAA Commercial, Instrument, CFI and soon to be completed CFII with them. My original choice was Florida, but luckily I found this place.

They have plenty of pa28's for the time building (and 2 C172s), and are highly regarded as an aerobatic school. Same goes for their acro instructors, most who have competed and know their stuff. Also you could get checked out in their supercubs and use those for the bulk of your time building, as they are way more fun, gets you a tailwheel endorsement, they fly slower (takes longer to get anywhere, hence more time!) and may make you a better pilot?! I've done their acro training to solo the Great Lakes, and although it's not a course where you get a qualification/certificate, it's well structured and they'll tailor it to meet your needs.

The scenery here is amazing, the weather great all year round. So if my point isn't already clear, I think you would be foolish not to consider this place!

stiknruda
6th Jan 2009, 10:10
I can wholeheartedly recommend Keoki Gray at Amelia Island Aerobatics.[URL="http://www.ameliaislandaerobatics.com/"]

Former US Champion, Patty Wagstaff suggested that I use him for some aeros competition trg a few years ago and I've been back and sent others to him.

All happy bunnies.

Stik