PDA

View Full Version : Ratings for Single Engine

Didi_7
5th Jan 2009, 16:55
Any person with a SEP valid can fly any SE airplane?
I mean, if a PPL, or a CPL wants to fly a Cessna Caravan, or a Cessna 182, donīt need any special rating?

Thanks

Whopity
5th Jan 2009, 17:26
Any person with a SEP valid can fly any SE airplane
NO, You can only fly a Single Engine "PISTON" aeroplane which is not type rated. The Caravan is a Turbine Class aeroplane and fits into the Cessna SET Class.

BackPacker
5th Jan 2009, 18:11
Any person with a SEP valid can fly any SE airplane

In addition to the SEP/SET difference, there's also the difference between land and water/amphibious. Anything that can float and fly requires an additional rating.

And in the pedantic mode: a PPL(A) with a SEP class rating is only valid on fixed wing aircraft. For rotary (helicopters) you need a PPL(H).

Wouldn't want Whirly or Whirls to feel left out of the discussion...

172driver
5th Jan 2009, 19:14
Anything that can float and fly requires an additional rating.

.....and f:mad: ! :p:p

Keygrip
5th Jan 2009, 19:54
And as Whopity skirted around - you cannot fly the piston Malibu (PA46?), as it's type rated.

So - nothing that floats (intenetionally), nothing with a turbine engine, nothing with rotating wings and not a Malibu but, otherwise - yeah! - you can fly anything (just about). :ok:

You say "Lisbon" - local regulation *MAY* be different if you have a non-UK CAA issued licence.

ExSp33db1rd
5th Jan 2009, 20:15
Wish they'd do that in NZ. I have to get a type rating on a 152 and a 172 and a 172 with a variable pitch prop conversion, and a 172 with manual flaps as opposed to the first one that had electric flaps ! Crazy.

The retractable / variable pitch microlight that I fly with a 100 HP Rotax is a different type to the one with fixed gear / variable pitch and a 80 HP Rotax.

All makes money for the Conspiracy Against Aviation ! :ok:

flyingfemme
5th Jan 2009, 22:22
You are all making assumptions - an FAA licence and an N number on the side requires no rating. Caravans are "single engine land" in the good ole US of A.

<<edit: Sorry, opened wrong message for editing - I've not touched this one (but "edit" would show).>>

Keygrip
6th Jan 2009, 03:09
Very true, ff....and probably exactly why the Malibu requires a type rating elsewhere.

Even then, your Caravan would likely require some endorsement in complex aircraft or performance, so the answer to

I mean, if a PPL, or a CPL wants to fly a Cessna Caravan, or a Cessna 182, donīt need any special rating?

is still, "No".

BelArgUSA
6th Jan 2009, 05:36
Many countries consider the "single engine airplane" rating to be valid on any single engine airplane which weighs less than 5,700 kg (or 12,500 lbs). The only practical variation for these countries, is the "seaplane" rating, with same weight limits.
xxx
Now, in you want to fly a "Warbird" like a P-51D Mustang, you better get a type rating for that racehorse, which is over 5,700 kg. I would not try to risk my life in one, unless properly trained and qualified.
xxx
In some countries, flying a "retractable gear" aircraft, or "constant speed propeller", or even "night" flying is considered as a "rating", as much as flying a "tailwheel" aircraft... some people love to make things difficult. Personally, I have rented airplanes I did not know, so I always asked for a chek-out in the specific aicraft type, at least to learn with a local pilot, about the area in which I was going to fly.
xxx
As far as flying "IFR" - if the aircraft is so equipped, I rather file IFR... much easier to chat with ATC than following railroads, and get lost. A Jeppesen enroute chart is more adequate (and approach chart), easier to read than using a Michelin road map despite their 1:500,000 scale in France.
xxx
And for me, IFR does not mean IMC necessarily. In a C-150, I would feel out of place in heavy rain, clouds and turbulence. I rather fly VMC and enjoy the scenery. I intend not to become a statistic at my old age. My fun flying is for sunny days and blue skies (low level along nude beaches, bikini patrol).
xxx
I own a little Piper L-21B of Korean War vintage, with O-320 motor.
Never flew it IFR, nor is it equipped. Flew it a few times at night, when late to go home. Just has one old 360-channel VHF R/T (720 not needed), a Xponder (to keep ATC happy) to cross a control or terminal area, and a CB radio for R/T in banner operations or glider towing. I do not need a VOR receiver, nor a GPS... what's all that...
And plexiglas window/door open for air conditioning. Windy in the back...?
No mike/earphones in the back, just yell your insults.
xxx
:E
Happy contrails.

Whopity
6th Jan 2009, 09:14
In JAA States we do not have a 5700Kg limitation for licencing purposes.
The definition "airplane" does not include helicopters! Aircraft does.

S-Works
6th Jan 2009, 09:37
Whoppity, perhaps you can explain why the PA46 requires a type rating under JAA when there are many more equally complex, equally high performance aircraft out there that do not?

I fly a Malibu myself and would not consider it to be any more difficult than any other high performance aircraft and in fact I consider the SM92 I fly to be more difficult in operation.

flyingfemme
6th Jan 2009, 20:53
Even then, your Caravan would likely require some endorsement in complex aircraft or performance, so the answer to
snip
is still, "No".
No, the question was about ratings. Wobbly prop and high performance are instructor endorsements.

Keygrip
6th Jan 2009, 22:06
Can I fly the wobbly prop and high perf on the basic temporary certificate or blue plastic card as issued to me when I pass an FAA Private check ride on an SEP?

Can I just walk up to one and fly it?

172driver
6th Jan 2009, 22:07
Caravans are "single engine land" in the good ole US of A.

Nope. You require a 'turbine endorsement'. You most certainly cannot use your plain vanilla PPL to fly a Caravan.

julian_storey
6th Jan 2009, 23:06
Can I fly the wobbly prop and high perf on the basic temporary certificate or blue plastic card as issued to me when I pass an FAA Private check ride on an SEP?

Can I just walk up to one and fly it?

The temporary licence which the FAA examiner issues, is exactly that. It is your licence until the permanent one arrives in the post a few weeks later and you can exercise the privileges of it straight away (if only it worked like that here!!)

The FAA requires an instructor endorsement for constant speed prop and also for high performance aircraft. Once you have those endorsements, you can jump in an aircraft with those features and fly it - if the owner and his insurance company will let you :)

Whirlygig
6th Jan 2009, 23:15
For anything rotary (other than washing lines of course) you need a type rating for each type; we don't have these class rating things :( In JAA land obviously.

Cheers

Whirls

julian_storey
6th Jan 2009, 23:29
Nope. You require a 'turbine endorsement'. You most certainly cannot use your plain vanilla PPL to fly a Caravan.

This is true in JAA land. You need a Cessna SET Class Rating as Whopity mentioned earlier.

In FAA land though you CAN (in theory) fly a Caravan on a plain vanilla PPL. Being less than 12,500 lbs it is covered by the ASEL (Airplane Single Engine Land) Class Rating. You would require a high performance endorsement which you can get from an instructor after training in any aircraft with more than 200 horse power.

The reality of course is that most insurance companies wouldn't let a PPL with no turbine time anywhere near a Caravan unless they had completed an approved course on the type.

Pace
7th Jan 2009, 01:17
The reality of course is that most insurance companies wouldn't let a PPL with no turbine time anywhere near a Caravan unless they had completed an approved course on the type.

Julian you are correct it is often the insurance companies who dictate what they want to insure you.

Pace

Keygrip
7th Jan 2009, 01:50
Draws black cross on wall - to mark where to bang head.

If the vanilla PPL has extra endorsements it's not vanilla anymore. It's now a swirl.

If you buy yourself a sodding Cessna Caravan from the profits of owning your own aviation insurance company (that naturally covers your own aircraft) you still cannot fly the bloody thing on a VANILLA flavoured SEP PPL.

It has to have endorsements, nuts, swirl, ratings - whatever you want to add - but it has to have add ons....so it's not vanilla!!

What is so difficult about the original question...

Can *ANY* person with an SEP fly *ANY* SEP aircraft.

No!!

BelArgUSA
7th Jan 2009, 03:10
Hola Keygrip -
xxx
I think you speak CAA or JAR regulations for your statements.
And the other guys mention FAA regulations.
So comparing oranges and apples.
xxx
I do not see a C-208 as requiring a type rating under FAA rules.
It is a "complex" airplane over 200 hp... just a proper check-out required.
Just "ASEL" as they call it - Airplane Single Engine Land... (or "Sea" if applicable).
xxx
I do not know anyone who flies a C-208.
But I have an acquaintance flying a Pilatus PC-6 Turbo Porter in Alaska.