PDA

View Full Version : Detecting Hackers

planecrazy.eu
5th Jan 2009, 10:18
Just read this on msn:

New powers for police to hack into UK computers - Latest News - MSN Tech & Gadgets UK (http://tech.uk.msn.com/news/article.aspx?cp-documentid=12486432)

I have nothing to worry about, but it did get me thinking that maybe i should tighten the security on my laptop so that hackers cant get in my system as i get heaps of attempts in my security log.

Is a firewall enough to keep them out, or are there any other measures i can take?

Also, any firewall recomendations? Using Comodo at present, but bugs me all day asking questions.

Thanks

green granite
5th Jan 2009, 17:42
I read the story in yesterday's Sunday Times. It will be interesting to know exactly how they are going to hack into peoples m/cs.

The Flying Pram
5th Jan 2009, 18:43
Some of the forums I read are suggesting the use of virus laden Email attachments, which gives rise to the astonishing possibility of the law enforcement agencies lowering themselves to the same level as the "hackers".

The most common advice is
1) A good firewalled router
2) A personal firewall in each P.C.
3) Frequent scans with up to date Anti Virus & Anti Spyware utilities ( but you already do that, don't you......)
4) Don't use WiFi unless you have to. In which case enable WPA, rather than WEP encryption, and use MAC code addressing to further restrict the possibility of unauthorised access.
5) As there have even been suggestions of physical breaking & entering!!, make sure the computers are password protected and keep the keyboard somewhere safe, away from the machine when not in use.

This may well sound like paranoia, but the way things are going, better safe than sorry....

green granite
5th Jan 2009, 19:38
Just as a thought I wonder about 'back doors' in firewalls etc.

planecrazy.eu
5th Jan 2009, 22:43
Backdoors in apps was something i was thinking of, as i am sure they exist in a fair bit of software.

The thing i like about Comodo security suite is that it prompts for everything, and i think it should alert if anyone should try to, or even gain entry to my PC.

I have a fair bit of other stuff on my laptop that i should start using as its an IBM with a TPM and fingerprint utility.

My fear is that if the "law" can do it, then so can the "hackers".

So the "law" gains entry using a backoffice like trojan or similar, and then the web is full of "hackers" scanning for open ports for these backdoors.

I also wonder about OSX and Linux based machines, will they be easier, the same, or harder to hack for the "law".

Keef
5th Jan 2009, 22:55
I have a vision of a phone call late at night...

"This is the Metropolitan Police Computer Security Department. We are unable to hack into your PC. We require you immediately to open up your system to our probes."

To which my reply would probably be in the plural, or "Nice try, Ivan! The answer's the same as yesterday - no."

Guest 112233
6th Jan 2009, 03:51
I have had enough of this "in the interests of national security" etc.

Yes there is a problem but the answers are for political debate. Now back on thread - There is encryption software freely avalable that you can use to protect your legitimate privacy in data terms. Also some modern machines can use TPM "trusted platform modules" encryption generated by a chip inside the computer. Its the fundamental role of the state to protect the individual and their right to privacy and not to treat the population as a group of suspects whom are to be spied on at the first chance aka the Stazi .

CAT III