PDA

View Full Version : ICAO IR conversion in the USA

where ever what ever
5th Jan 2009, 05:25
Help,
I'm looking to convert my South African CPL/IR before my UK ATPL exam passes run out next year . I would perfer to do the converstion in the US as I currently work on contract in Sourthern African and only have a months holiday a year to complete the conversion and am a bit worried about weather effecting the course in the UK.

I've checked the UK CAA website, and it seam to indicate the European Pilot Training are the only approved FTO outside UK that can do the IR. However, internet search don't seam to find a website for them. They list a Bournemouth number as a contact.

Has anyone used a US company to concert a ICAO IR outside of the UK and can make a recomendation please ???

Keygrip
5th Jan 2009, 12:36
wewe - there are NO operations under the UK CAA that will allow the flight test for the instrument rating initial issue to be conducted in the USA.

The UK CAA demand all initial I/R flight tests and single engine to multi engine "upgrades" be flown with a staff examiner within JAA airspace.

You may find that the Germans or Dutch would allow the flight - but possibly only to add the rating to a German or Dutch licence - not a UK CAA one.

Considered Spain? Mostly sunny, I believe, and there are JAA operations there that would allow you to add the rating directly to a UK JAA licence.

where ever what ever
5th Jan 2009, 13:04
Thanks for clearing that up ... I came to the same conclusion ,,, so looks like Plan b ,, do the cpl gft in UK and do the IR at somewhere like Aerofan Madrid ..Looks like I still have untill July 2010 to get the IR done, maybe worth waiting until I pass the 1000hrs mark in Sept to ensure a good pass thanks for your time anyway