PDA

View Full Version : CTC Phase 2/3 assessment January 2009

LLB
4th Jan 2009, 11:46
Hi, I have my assessment day Jan 2009 and would like any information from anyone who has recently taken part in the day?
The last info I can find on this is from 2006 and any new info would be really appreciated?
Thanks for any help!!

99jolegg
4th Jan 2009, 12:19
I attended assessment 5 months ago.

Things are pretty much the same as posted from years ago.

The format has changed...you now do phase 2 and 3 in one day. The group used to be split in half to have half do the maths / aptitude assessments in the morning and the group assessments in the afternoon and the other half do it in reverse. I'm not sure they get so many people applying now the loan has stopped so it may be that they only have enough for one group of 5-6 but that's just a guess.

The aptitude tests are the same as they used years ago I believe. Nothing you can really prepare for, just requires some thought and concentration. The tests are computer based, using a joystick and last around 1 hour.

The maths is fairly basic, but with only 1 minute per question, you need plenty of practice if you haven't done it recently on things like long addition, multiplication, division and subtraction. Currency and weight conversions (with the given units) are also thrown in. Other than that, basic mathematical functions no higher than GCSE standard are in there. The maths isn't there to be complicated, it's there to test your basic speed maths. However, don't underestimate this test! I know at least one graduate of aeronautical engineering (who had maths and physics at A level too) from a top university who failed the maths, purely for a lack of preparation and admitting that he hadn't done that sort of maths since GCSE! I'm sure there are more.

The group exercises have changed since they were last written about...no point in giving out specific details but work as a team, give your opinion and accept others' and you'll be fine.

The interview is with one assessor now, as opposed to two a few years ago. Terry or Chrissie usually do the interviews. 30-45 minutes of standard questions, nothing underhand, no games or tactics. They'll be making notes as you speak. Some questions are basic, some require a bit of thought that you have probably not prepared for. You will never be able to prepare for everything but if you read up sufficiently on the airline industry as it stands, then you should be covered for most things. I think you only do the interview if you pass the group exercises and aptitude tests...the interview is the last thing of the day.

Expect questions about personality, motivation, facts about the aviation industry and some hypothetical questions. There may be a few outside of those parameters but nothing ugly and nothing designed to trip you up.

If you don't know the answer, don't bother waffling or making it up...you'll back yourself into a corner you don't want to be in.

Preparation is key for the interview.

Good luck!

LLB
4th Jan 2009, 13:48
Hi, thanks for the reply! I hadn't really looked into the financing options of this route that much yet...you mentioned a loan stopping - what was this?
Can you remember any questions in particular in the interview you found hard?
Also aprox how many maths questions are there?
Thanks again!

99jolegg
4th Jan 2009, 14:00
Look at the CTC Wings Thread - Part II; it'll have most of the information you would need.

HSBC used to provide the £60,000 loan as an unsecured Professional Studies loan. In September 08 this stopped entirely so the £60,000 bond must be financed by other means such as a secured loan via another bank or the full amount in your own personal bank account. Because only a minority qualify for a secured loan of that amount, are willing to take that risk or have the money in its entirety, the numbers applying to CTC have dropped.

They'll probably explain the money situation at the briefing at the beginning of the day.

I didn't find anything particularly hard about it...some questions were more challenging and thought provoking than others but as it's fairly conversational, the environment makes it easy to provide a semi-decent answer.

LLB
4th Jan 2009, 14:33
Sorry...last question today, did they mention anything about CTC NZ at the assessment day?
Thanks

99jolegg
4th Jan 2009, 15:17
Not really sure what you mean...they talk a bit about what is over in Hamilton, NZ, but don't go into much detail other than what's over there and what you'll be doing there.

largegeorgejones
4th Jan 2009, 21:33
Check out a book called get a head for the sky. Very very useful. Just add .com for the web site. Good luck!

I just have the sim to go!

George

LLB
5th Jan 2009, 14:35
Hi

Did they mention how soon after you completed all the assessments you would begin training or are you able to defer this for a period of time?
Thanks

99jolegg
5th Jan 2009, 14:52
It depends on how busy they are. Now the loan has stopped, you could probably get on a course pretty quickly...one or two months ahead, maybe a bit more.

Not sure if you're allowed to defer, you'd have to check with CTC.

singingpilot
5th Jan 2009, 20:56
Hello All

I passed phase 4 a couple of months ago, Most of what I have read posted by others is pretty spot on!!

I had a lot of questions about CTC and manly their partner airlines....Name them? So where do EZY fly from - to? What aircraft??? That sort of thing.

I messed all that lot up so don't worry to much if you don't have an answer for everything I still passed!!!

Relax in the interview all the people I have met from CTC are lovely and are not there to make you feel unworthy

Also...I failed my Math’s and had the chance to retake at my phase 4 so its not the end of the world if you don't get it first time round....I found it easier with pen and paper on my second attempt.

In terms of time scale from passing to leaving for NZ it all depends, I have had to move around from course to course several times due to being turned down for the loan from HSBC and a few other things. They are very flexible/understanding on this front I wouldn't worry to much about needing to defer.

Hope some off that helps.

Singer

Chilli Corneto
6th Jan 2009, 16:46
Hi Singer,

Useful info there.

I've got my stage 4 this week! :)

Although I haven't appeared to have had any major problems on the previous stages I haven't had any feedback as of yet. I had to do my Interview a week after the PILAPT's & Group interview due to no GCSE certificates. A quick trip to the old school and I got a signed letter. All was well....anyway I'm digressing.

Did you know in advance you didn't pass the maths? It seemed ok when I did it but you have me worried now that they're going to spring it on me without warning if I failed.

As I say I haven't had any feedback yet so as far as I'm aware I've passed everything to the required standard.

Just have to do some loops in the 737 now. :E

Cheers,

Chilli.

99jolegg
6th Jan 2009, 17:29
They'd tell you after you've done the maths / PILAPT tests that you didn't pass the maths and ask that you redo it at stage 4. They're unlikely to spring it on you when you return but you can email them to confirm you passed it.

Chilli Corneto
6th Jan 2009, 17:42
Cheers,

I will presume all is fine so far but there is no harm in double checking.

Many thanks,

Chilli. :cool:

Lemonator
7th Jan 2009, 19:30
Check out a book called get a head for the sky. Very very useful. Just add .com for the web site. Good luck!

I just have the sim to go!

George

I can also recommend the 'get a head' book and two of my friends have used it successfully for their CTC selection. I wish I knew about it when I went through CTC a few years ago. The webiste is getaheadforthesky dot com, I just got a copy for an upcoming interview.

Good luck everyone.

Lemonator

1mag1n3
10th Jan 2009, 22:19
I am looking of sending my application off in the next week or month or so. You say the loan has stopped, I was just wondering about this. Do they propose other methods or do they leave you to go sniffing for food alone? It was the main selling point before, but the credit crunch seemed to come at the wrong time, for me personally as well as all you others!

Good luck to all going through selection :)

PS- I am currently sitting my A-Levels, hence will not gain them until August. They state on their website I need to have 2 A-Levels, so can I not apply until I reach August?

Chilli Corneto
10th Jan 2009, 23:05
Yes HSBC have stopped their loan.

But the credit crunch won't last forever and something might materialise within the next year. No one can really tell unfortunately.

If they ask for 2 A-levels and you won't have them till August then my best advice is to wait until you have them. You don't want to waste your or their time before anything is confirmed.

Financially it's a really crap time but as I've said it won't last for eternity. Unless you have access to the amount of money they require you might want to wait for a bit longer. There's no huge rush. I'm a little older than 19 and only just starting this adventure!

Surely we should start using the CTC thread again!? ;)

Chilli.

singingpilot
11th Jan 2009, 01:23
Hi 1mag1n3, chilli corneto and any others looking at this thread

I would stick to this thread for now when it comes to questions about selection etc. The CTC thread is pretty grim reading at the moment!! I am not going to start up the arguments for/against training in the current financial situation we all find our selves in.

This thread is just the sort of thing I found O so useful when I was applying and facing selection 3 months ago.

1mag1n3 just be aware (I am not trying to put you off or scare you out of applying) when I went through selection 90% of applicants I was with had a degree and those who didn't were a bit older and had been around a bit in the aviation sector. I am not suggesting for a second you won't pass but it is worth knowing.

As finance is a bit of a problem at the moment I might wait for things to calm down a bit. HSBC is a complete not starter!!

Keep the questions coming!!

Chris

99jolegg
11th Jan 2009, 09:16
If you have what it takes, you can pass at any age and with any ground of qualifications, assuming you meet the basic entry criteria.