PDA

View Full Version : AVG 8.0 full retail edition -FREE!

x213a
3rd Jan 2009, 16:16
AVG Antivirus and Security Software - Download products (http://www.avg.com/download?prd=aav)
When prompted enter license key 8MEH-REDSL-7ETEC-ULA8R-EAOKL-4EMBR-ACED

[THIS IS AN ILLEGAL LICENSE KEY]- mods

Full details here:

First 145000 downloads free licence until 2018 [Freeware site removed]- mods

parabellum
3rd Jan 2009, 22:12
I would be a bit concerned that in addition to the AVG Spyware I might be downloading a whole load of other stuff like Ad Ware, Spy Ware etc.:confused:

twiggs
3rd Jan 2009, 22:26
From the daily freeware website

"You can get free AvG 8.0 lincese now ! how you can get that ? this is a joke ? nope"

I would be careful downloading a supposed free license from a website that cannot spell license correctly.

Atlas Shrugged
3rd Jan 2009, 22:39
Use caution with this site.

McAfee have found a number of downloads on this site that some people may consider adware, spyware or other potentially unwanted programs and links are to sites which have minor safety/annoyance issues.

x213a
3rd Jan 2009, 23:30
The download is from the avg site. All seems ok my end. Superantispyware showing nothing amiss either.

Tarq57
4th Jan 2009, 01:04
Since the download can be made from either the freeware or the official Grisoft site, I would imagine the chances of getting a "nasty" with the program to be virtually nil. (Except for the program itself, of course. :E)
'Tis just the license key that goes with it that you get for free.
Grisoft must be getting a bit desperate to peddle their suite, perhaps.
SiteAdvisor (McAfee) is notorious for FUD. Use at as a bit of a guide, not gospel.

parabellum
4th Jan 2009, 11:09
Maybe AVG have sold 'xyz' number of downloads to various advertisers?

fyrefli
4th Jan 2009, 13:22
All working here. As has been suggested, just downloaded from the official AVG site and then used the licence key. Been using AVG Free for several years and recommending to customers, friends and family alike. Of course no AV is foolproof - and there's plenty of fools out there!

Thanks for the tip, x213a!

Tone
4th Jan 2009, 18:19
I have just loaded this version on a machine and am running it next to another which has the 'Free' version. The only difference between the two is that the free version is set to update daily at 17:00 and this can't be changed. This new version can be set to update every hour. Is this the only difference?

Tarq57
4th Jan 2009, 20:27
Paid vs Free AVG (http://www.avgfree.com.au/)

Union Jack
13th Dec 2010, 13:58
I have just received an "Important Message" from AVG, which appeared as an AVG normal sized screen, advising me that they cannot verify my license key, namely the one advised at the top of this thread, and asking me to contact them with any available info.

I replied in non committal terms, asking them to confirm that the license key remains valid until the original date, and AVG came back, almost by return, stating amongst other things:

"We would like to inform you that the AVG license number you provided is incorrect and was generated through an illegal license number generator. Its use is considered illegal according to AVG License Policy.

Please let us know where you purchased the AVG product, so that we can stop this illegal practice. If you have an invoice or a receipt for the product, please send it to us as a reply to this e-mail or by fax to our office in the Czech Republic at this fax number: 00420 549 524 004."

No response sent to AVG, nor intended, not least in deference to OP.

The original AVG message states that they will continue cover for two weeks, after which ......?

Avast now installed.:ok:

Jack

Mike-Bracknell
13th Dec 2010, 14:59
Being in the position of an AVG Gold Reseller, if anyone wants this verified, please shout. I can also sort individuals' (and companies') exposures on this, but would be better to get a PM from those concerned.

Cheers,
Mike.

Loose rivets
13th Dec 2010, 15:40
Huh! Haven't got my ad-blocker on, and below the last post was a Google ad for AVG with the Windows logo. Free download. It didn't say which version though.

jcjeant
14th Dec 2010, 14:53
Hi,

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb186/maur2/Pirates.png

:8

mixture
14th Dec 2010, 16:31
How does that saying go again ?

Oh yeah.... "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is"

Hope you've learnt your lesson for the future :

(a) For your own safety and sanity,software should only be downloaded from its respective developer's websites. If the developer does not offer a download facility then don't go hunting around the internet, buy a legit boxed copy.

(b) Any "too good to be true" promotions that you are not able to confirm from the developer website should be treated with the same high regard and trust as you do SPAM.