PDA

View Full Version : How did you build twin time?

ROTORVATION
3rd Jan 2009, 11:27
Hi,

This is one for those who are operating in the UK in the onshore sector from a civillian background.

Ok, im in a position where my total hours are respectable at 2000 +, my PIC is also in the 'reasonable' bracket with 1850+, & my night hours are good.

However, twin i.e as355 / 135 is shockingly poor with little or no glimmer of hope that some private owner shall want to hire my services to fly his 109 around - how do I get the sought after twin time? Has anybody got an answer for me?

I'm looking for an answer other than oil rigs in the North Sea! Charter work at the company I freelance for is on it's A**, and private owners are non existant!

Thanks,

RV

rotorboy
3rd Jan 2009, 12:37
Hmm Africa or middle east off shore.....

Retro Coupe
3rd Jan 2009, 22:21
Get yourself a job with a company that operates twins as well as singles. Sounds obvious I know but thats what I did 15+ years ago. If you work hard enough and show them that you are committed they might offer you a twin conversion, repayable over "x" number of years.
I've not done Charter/Public Transport for a while, but from memory it was always quiet at this time of year (icing conditions/short daylight hours). Come the summer things should pick up.

RC

Gas Producer
4th Jan 2009, 08:30
Get a job with The Helicopter Line, NZ. Fleet of 8 355F1s and 4 350s.

GP :)

Power Up
4th Jan 2009, 14:12
Twin time? Silly as it sounds, I envy your position, I'm still trying to just build time, I'm stuck at the 200hr mark, no money to invest!!!

WylieCoyote
5th Jan 2009, 10:16
Rotorvation,
I'd have said what you need is turbine time, once you have around 500hrs of that you should be in a good position to get in with someone who operates singles and twins and as Retro Coupe said it does work, it did for me and for others I know in a couple of companies.
Total hours are good but a variety of experience is what employers seem to like.