PDA

View Full Version : MD80s of Safair, now Alitalia also?

grjplanes
3rd Jan 2009, 10:08
From airliners.net it seems that 14 or 15 MD80s from Alitalia should have arrived in SA over the last 2 weeks, for Safair. Is there more coming, and then the big question, what is Safair going to do with all these Mad Dogs. 1Time will probably be able to use a few, but not all of them, and still there is some old ones of Kulula also standing around (3 or 4 last time I was in JNB?)

eurocontrol
3rd Jan 2009, 21:14
Hi,

I'm told 4 ex AZA MD's are at FAJS, and upto 14 are in temp storage at Upington, I can assume they will wait there until their turn in the hangar comes. A press release I saw said a couple are for 1Time, and the rest are ideal for buisness oppurtunities in the Sub Sahara region.

EC

9-er
5th Jan 2009, 04:21
Hi guys,

Apparently, these 18 MD-82's are a batch leased to Alitalia and owned by Aergo Capital that have been phased out as the airline restructures following its acquisition by the Air One led consortium. I've seen a few passing through Nairobi on their way to South Africa. They are mostly from Alitalia's early batch of -82's, all built between 1983 and 1990. I'm sure they'll find some takers (my airline is rumoured to be eyeing up a couple)-they've been pretty well-maintained and are apparently in fairly good nick.