PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Street Pilot C330

Loose rivets
3rd Jan 2009, 05:10
I got one of these some time ago as a refurbished unit. Today was the last straw. I found myself under the highway that I was supposed to be on and wasted a lot of time. I could have guessed better where to go.

I happen to know that the road was built well before I got the unit. I feel a little cheated, no one said that the refurbished would be out of date.

Is there an alternative company or source of maps for this model? I will have to update, or throw it away. I also need to be able to bring it home to the UK with me, but that's another issue. Right now, I need the US upgrade, but the $70 odd is too much to spend on something of this age when I can buy a bigger screen Tom tom new for $157

Any advice? (other than jumping up and down on it)

Bushfiva
3rd Jan 2009, 08:09
It was released in 2005 and came with Mapsource City Select for the USA, if I remember, and is now discontinued. The refurb would have had to be very cheap: I see remaining new units are as little as $140.

So, in the great scheme of things, you're probably better off getting a TomTom in the UK if you don't want to buy one of Garmin's map DVDs. TomTom data is from Tele Atlas (which it now owns), while Garmin uses Navteq (Nokia), but I don't think you'll see many differences between them for UK data.

There are sites like gpsmapsearch.com, but good luck wading through the content.