PDA

View Full Version : Useful books

Hawksley
2nd Jan 2009, 23:49
Hey guys, just wondering if any one knows of any good books (non text book) about the industry? Kind of like becoming an airline pilot by Jeff Griffin. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

airbandit
3rd Jan 2009, 08:16
One I liked is 'To Be an Airline Pilot' by Andrew Cook. Everything is well explained and intresting to read. 2006 years book :)

bigjarv
4th Jan 2009, 22:48
There is one being brandished around at the moment called get a head for the sky which you can only get from their web site. Found it to be very good particularly for all the soft skills type of stuff. You know, interview techniques, group exercises etc. Excellent general all round prep. There is some technical stuff in there but not much. For that I would look at ace the technical interview or handling the big jets. The latter is a bit dry and hard going but full of useful technical stuff.

Hope this helps!

Chilli Corneto
9th Jan 2009, 09:46
Bigjarv is right.

The 'getaheadfortheysky' book is a real ace up the sleeve. I've recently passed all the selection at CTC and should be off to NZ quite soon.

This was my first attempt at any sponsorship or integrated courses. I didn't even get a chance to go to OAA or FTE. It doesn't look like I need to now either. ;)

This book is an easy read, full of useful tips that should prepare you and puts you in the right mind set for any selection process.

It is worth every single penny!

Chilli.

bigjarv
12th Jan 2009, 20:29
Well done Chilli! So starts the adventure!

daria-ox
13th Jan 2009, 08:56
I've read quite a few books about how to become a professional pilot, airlines etc. These are few of them:

"The art of flying" by Robert N. Buck
"Guide to Becoming a Professional Pilot" By Clive Hughes is a reallly good book.
"Professional Pilot's Career Guide" by Robert P. Mark is pretty good too.
"To Be an Airline Pilot" by Andrew Cook.

Dreamshiner
13th Jan 2009, 19:36
"Understanding the P45" by H.M. Department of Work and Pensions, downloadable from their website

Otherwise join a union (the smaller one is better prepared I found) and they give you interview cheats from members who have just been through the experience recently.

That way you can gen up your ATPL notes for a specific subject.

Big Love

DS