PDA

View Full Version : Mass & Balance New Year Teaser!

Pick me Flybe!
2nd Jan 2009, 19:24
B737 MTOW 100,000 Tonnes or more?

So we all know that MTOW is limited by things like wing spar strength, the power of all serviceable engines, pressure altitude and runway length etc. As a result there are limits to the amount of cargo that can be carried in the hold.

My solution.

Let’s say that we were to mount magnets to all internal walls of the hold. At the same time we attach magnets to the walls of the freight bins. If we were to use repelling magnets we could get the freight bins to float, call it levitation by magnets. Therefore no part of the freight would ever touch any part of the aircraft, so the effect is it must be weightless!! As a result an aircraft could carry infinite amounts of freight, so long as it fitted in the hold and still weight the same as if it were empty.

Obviously the compass would need a severe swing, but apart from that its kerching all round! The magnets would also need to be electromagnetic, maybe powered by the aircraft generators. That way the magnets could be turned off to enable the freight to be loaded and unloaded.

Doable or not?

Keygrip
2nd Jan 2009, 20:04
Done dozens of times before.

The usual scenario is a hold full of birdies - which all jump off their perches.

Does it affect the weight?

10DowningSt
2nd Jan 2009, 20:07
All together now!

For every action, there's an equ...........

JohnRayner
2nd Jan 2009, 20:17
If you take two magnets and hold them same pole to same pole they repel, of course:O When I've pushed harder on one magnet to bring it closer, I'm sure I felt the increase in pressure in the other magnet, so would an airframe feel that extra effect e.g. during turns?. Would juicing up the elcectromagnet negate that effect a bit I wonder?

Also, would the effect of the mass of the cargo bouncing around the hold off the magnets fixed to the airframe not make the plane wobble?

A mag-lev type platform with the cargo placed on it, with electromagnets that you could ramp up to offset the weight might do it, but again, what would happen if you bank the plane.......?

I feel a junior science moment coming on...

JohnRayner
2nd Jan 2009, 20:19
Or alternatively I could just go and do some work...

antonov225
2nd Jan 2009, 20:43
Just thought id reiterate the point made earlier because they replied before I could!...Newtons 3rd law of motion. If the magnets are pushing the freight up, the freight is pushing down on the magnets and they weight exactly the same except you have added several tonnes worth of electromagnets and generators etc and every bit of metal within 20 miles will be flying in the direction of your aircraft!.

sion22
2nd Jan 2009, 21:52
why limit to the hold
make the whole aircraft and ground magnetic and have a magnetic airway

how about a magnetic runway with increasing force the closer you got to it = perfect landings and vertical take-offs

Airflight69
2nd Jan 2009, 23:03
Oh dear. I guess it`s a slow news day.

Lurking123
3rd Jan 2009, 06:44
OMG, free energy. Pick me has just saved the world.:}

coodem
5th Jan 2009, 17:04
By adding the magnets, it would just weigh even more