PDA

View Full Version : Hand held GPS

cyclops16
2nd Jan 2009, 15:46
I want to buy a hand held GPS that displays just Digital Lat,Long and height above Sea Level (AMSL) for use with my SBS-1. In the Summer I want to go to the top of the hills surrounding me and use my SBS-1,but will not know the exact location I am in. Is there a cheap one around on the market in the UK?

green granite
2nd Jan 2009, 17:03
Assuming you can read a map, why not just convert the grid ref to lat long?

If you don't know how try google

cyclops16
2nd Jan 2009, 17:26
I can read a Map,but it presents it own difficulties as I am Partially Sighted and the reference numbers are too small on an OS Map. So to simplify things a clear digital display would be better in the long run.

green granite
2nd Jan 2009, 18:17
try trawling though these then should be a suitable one there

GPSW: Receivers & Sat-Nav : Recreational / Handheld GPS : Basic Handheld GPS Receivers (http://www.gpsw.co.uk/cats/cl3_23.html)

Background Noise
2nd Jan 2009, 18:39
If you have a bluetooth mobile phone with a suitable operating system, or a PDA, you could look at a bluetooth GPS receiver. Do you use the SBS thing with a laptop? Maybe there is a GPS unit which would link to the laptop and provide position to the software? Try ebay.

Keef
2nd Jan 2009, 22:02
If you want to convert Lat/Long to or from NGR, I wrote an Excel routine to do that a few years ago. You're welcome to a copy if you want one.

There are umpteen websites that do it - but not if you're away from the web.