PDA

View Full Version : Skills Test - CAA Exam Fee

187nj
2nd Jan 2009, 14:18
Hi.

I've just passed my PPL last week and need to know about sending my licence to the CAA.

My CFI told me to send:

Log Book
FCL 684
Medical Cert.
FCL 508
XC Certificate
FCL JAR 02
and pay CAA fee ??

How much is the CAA fee and do I just sent a check with all of the above.

Be grateful for any feedback, links etc

Lister Noble
2nd Jan 2009, 14:50
My CFI did the lot for me and sent it off,he didn't charge anything for doing it,just the cost of the licence which I can't remember exaxctly.
You will get some more helpful replies I'm sure.
Lister

Keygrip
2nd Jan 2009, 14:58
From http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_Scharges_ppl_05.pdf you will find the fee (until April 1st) is £168.

Congrats on passing the PPL. Welcome to the industry.

Scotsheli
2nd Jan 2009, 15:30
...but if I recall correctly there is now a form needed which certifies that you speak Level 6 English, SRG1199 is the form I think.

And it might be obvious but also check that all of the exercises are VERY easy to identify in your logbook.

Then, welcome to the brethren, you can now sit back and wait for this bloomin fog & clag laden high pressure to shift like this rest of us!

Happy landings!

Keygrip
2nd Jan 2009, 17:09
The English Proficiency is on the Radio Telephony application.

If the school is using the current JAR02 forms (which have been out since September 2007) then there is no need for the seperate RT application in the checklist items from the OP (Form 508).

If they have not updated their forms since September 2007......<insert comment of your choice>.

Other form required is http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FORSRG1187.pdf to pay for it all.

187nj
4th Jan 2009, 11:04
Many thanks guys.

I have another question.

Do those documents have to be sent off within a certain time frame?

It's two weeks since I passed, but I've run out of money and can't afford the CAA fee for another two weeks.

This is an expensive game!

Keygrip
4th Jan 2009, 12:12
Did you not get *any* end-of-course debrief?...or maybe you were too elated to listen.

The skill test is valid for 12 months from the date of the test for the purposes of licence application.

The written examinations are valid for 18 months from the date of passing the last one of them.

Two things to note;

Your chosen school is not giving you the support that it should if you have to ask these questions on here, and not at the school - the information you've asked for should be told to you without you asking, and, it's less expensive now than it's going to be if you decide to do much more with it. :ok:

187nj
4th Jan 2009, 12:20
No end of course de-brief ! Don't get me started ... The school I went to struggled to get up in the morning, let alone provide there students with valuble pre-flight briefs and end of flight de-briefs . I wont mention the school's name ! No, as it happens I'm still on my own, seaching through heaps of information for simple answers ... my next set of questions relate to the CPL theory !

Just to clarify, the CAA will issue my licence if I send the documents off in a few weeks right?

Cheers.

Keygrip
4th Jan 2009, 12:45
As far as a the dates are concerned, yes.

Assuming you did all the flying and ground that you were meant to do whilst the school was sleeping late, then you should have no problems.

Do yourself a favour before too many questions on relatively basic stuff - RESEARCH THE ANSWERS. Both your questions were easily answered from the CAA web site (though it's not the easiest to navigate, I admit).

If you think of a question - see if you can find your way to the answer without skipping all the intermediary hassle of finding out for yourself. You comment on CPL - which suggests you will (try to find finace to) go to a professional stage. Use this opportunity to get familiar with all the documents, publications and web sites that are available.

Ask us where to look at worst - don't just ask for the answer.

I say again by the way, if your cash counting now - it will be a nightmare when you get into CPL stuff.

Feel free to PM if you have anything you want to ask - or keep going on PPRuNe - but RESEARCH, too.

<<edit: I just re-read your post. You are on your own looking for answers? Where did you look for those two then - if neither came up with an answer for you?>>

Keygrip
4th Jan 2009, 12:56
I'm back again - sorry to nag.

I know where to look for a lot of stuff - even have links on my internet toolbars to the common stuff, but just for giggles I went to Google and typed UK CAA into the search box.

First item returned was the CAA website www.srg.caa.co.uk (http://www.srg.caa.co.uk)

I went to their home page and typed "charges" into the search box. First return was the "Scheme of Charges" Answer one was there.

I then entered "PPL Application" into the search box - return 5 was the section from LASORS explaining EVERYTHING about training, testing and applying for a Private Pilot Licence.

Air Navigation Order - by the way - will tell you (politely) what you can do with it (the PPL that is, restrictions and privileges).

187nj
4th Jan 2009, 13:06
Keygrip.

Point taken thank you. I'll admit, I've become sloppy recently on my information finding. Pprune has lead me to skip research all together, I do just ask on here for the answers.

When there are intelligent people like you around, who needs research altogether! I will endevour to regain my own information finding powers where possible.. after all you've made it seem very simple now.

Many thanks.