PDA

View Full Version : What PPRuNe needs! Or not?

darrenphughes
1st Jan 2009, 15:39
So I see a thread titled "Helicopter Ferry Pilots needed" got closed down by Senior Pilot. I guess they were advertising for a job position that they had available, or maybe they were selling cheap time while ferrying a chopper somewhere. And you can't blame the Mods for shutting it down when they need to keep advertising revenue flowing to keep the site running.

But it got me thinking. What if PPRuNe had a section where potential employers could advertise their open positions. Pilots/job hunters could then enter their search criteria just like a regular job listing site. I know most open positions in this industry are filled by word of mouth. But this could draw more people to the site and increase advertising revenue, while providing a valuable service.

PPRuNe is already a one stop shop for many things aviation, so why not for job hunters. I don't know too many pilots that don't know this site already, so it shouldn't be too difficult to compete with the other aviation job sites.

Just a thought!

KNIEVEL77
1st Jan 2009, 15:57
Seconded!!!!!

wardy20
1st Jan 2009, 16:09
Definitely

206Fan
1st Jan 2009, 16:12
Thats why pprune charge for posting banners!

Bravo73
1st Jan 2009, 17:08
Darren,

There was a very popular 'Helicopter Jobs' thread that ran for a long time, a few years ago. Several Rotorheads managed to secure employment through it.

It was intended as a 'word of mouth, there's a job coming up here' type of information source. Unfortunately, a number of employment agencies and brokers started abusing the thread, in order to avoid paying for advertising. So, the thread was locked :( and from then on, all job adverts have to be paid for.

(I'm told that the rates are very reasonable though! :ok:)

KNIEVEL77
1st Jan 2009, 17:24
Bravo73,

Yep, fair comment.

K77.

herman the crab
1st Jan 2009, 17:25
Doesn't take much detective work to still find what one maybe looking for...

HTC.

MartinCh
2nd Jan 2009, 00:52
There was a very popular 'Helicopter Jobs' thread that ran for a long time, a few years ago. Several Rotorheads managed to secure employment through it.

It was intended as a 'word of mouth, there's a job coming up here' type of information source. Unfortunately, a number of employment agencies and brokers started abusing the thread, in order to avoid paying for advertising. So, the thread was locked http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/sowee.gif and from then on, all job adverts have to be paid for.

Was it used as 'kind of' ferries while the companies also had some vacancies in mind to be filled?
Otherwise if it's not paid for, it's rather beneficial to heli pilots. Sure, companies might have some savings (lower cost=more profit, blah blah) but they'd just have to tell more employees to ask around more.

I can't see one-off ferrying 'job' being advertised by paid banners/words.

I guess the only problem is to have enough experience anyway, ferrying expensive machinery (insurance etc) - kinda negates the need to build hours for low-timers anyway.. Or probably not so much in the UK - I'd say more ferrying across the pond, from factory etc.

Also, the thing with people asking and others recommending schools, operators etc. Whether PM-ed or posted in words (no link) - still kind of promoting, but condoned.

In the end, it's about following rules, innit? Work for co - obey policies. Post on PPRune - the same.