PDA

View Full Version : Lost Emails.

Runaround Valve
1st Jan 2009, 00:39
I am using Windows XP. Shut down the computer on New Years Eve, booted it up this morning [New Years Day] to find that all inbox emails from 19th December to New Years Eve had gone missing. All previous emails to 18th December are there.
Does anyone have an idea of what happened and how to recover the emails ?.
Maybe the computer made a New Years resolution and did it without telling me !!!

Wing Commander Fowler
1st Jan 2009, 07:12
Try running a search for a mail that you know you received during those dates either "from" or "subject" and see if windoze can find them - perhaps they have mysteriously run away into another folder........

BOAC
1st Jan 2009, 08:10
Do you perhaps have more than one 'identity' set?

You did not say which email programme!!

For OE, the files you are looking for (in 'search') are .dbx

For Outlook, the 'personal folders' are in a .pst file

both should have a date stamp between 18 or 19/12 and 31/12. Good news if you find something like that!

Not in 'deleted' are they?:)

NRU74
1st Jan 2009, 08:32
Try mail2web.com - they may still be on the server thingie

Tone
2nd Jan 2009, 16:20
It's not just that the 'Date - Last Week' box needs clicking is it?

Runaround Valve
4th Jan 2009, 22:06
I have tried a search for the emails but no luck. Not in any other folder as far as I know.
I have only one email address and am using Windows Explorer and Outlook Express. Have checked deleted and others but not there. First thing that I did.
Had this same problem a couple of years ago on previous XP computer when an email block of messages disappeared, only to come back somehow ??? some months later.
Thanks for the replies.

Tarq57
5th Jan 2009, 04:42
Outlook Express was partly responsible for my losing a number of emails, too. Silly me, I allowed OE to compress my folders when prompted, but then deleted the contents of the recycle bin and shut down the PC a bit fast when I thought it had finished doing this- it evidently had not.
Long shot, but check your recycle bin.
Then do what I did, and install Mozilla's Thunderbird. Seems to be much more reliable, and can be configured easily to leave mails on the server .

BOAC
5th Jan 2009, 07:45
Tarq and others - OE is also extremely easy to configure to "leave mails on the server".

overfly
8th Jan 2009, 17:00
there's a recovery tool called DBXtract which costs a few dollars that should help you. Google should find it.