PDA

View Full Version : Electricity / charger question ?

Juud
31st Dec 2008, 09:04
Have managed to forget the charger for my ASUS laptop at home. :(
It looks as if I will be spending the first few days of the new year in Lagos, and internetting is about the only thing to do there. (what with not being allowed to leave the hotel for security reasons)

Soooo.... On the back of the ASUS it says input and then something unintelligible in Chines and then : +9.5V --- 2.315A,22W

Found a chager in a drawer here that lets you adjust voltage to 4.5 7.5 9 and 12 (no 9.5) and that has 300mA3.6VA

Can I use it to charge to lappie or will I blow it up?
Anyone please?

west lakes
31st Dec 2008, 09:19
Juud
Output from the charger is only about 12% of the supply requirement of the lap top.
It would probably just about charge the battery on the 9V (but would take a long time to do it) setting but would die very quickly if you tried to use it to power the laptop (in fact the smoke cartridge would probably break).

tony draper
31st Dec 2008, 09:35
Yup the one from the draw sounds more like a standard variable voltage Power supply,a charger is a switched power supply which can deliver more oomph,tiz no good for your lappy,twould get hot and probably ignite with a loud bang.

Juud
31st Dec 2008, 09:36
Westie, thanks for answering, had hoped you'd be around ;)
To make sure I understand what you are saying:

I CAN use that charger to chrage the lappie but it will take ages
I can NOT use the lappie with that charger plugged into it.

That correct?

west lakes
31st Dec 2008, 09:41
Juud

Yep, but with no guarantee that the battery charging will actually work - but worth trying.
There are a lot of laptop power supplies available on the market but they ain't cheap and I've no idea where you would get one in AMS.

forget
31st Dec 2008, 09:43
Talk to the front desk. They'll have boxes full of chargers which have been left behind. :)

Bushfiva
31st Dec 2008, 10:00
If you're in AMS: there's a multi-output charger there that will work for you, unless I bought the last one. It's rated at 2A (but I'm not in a position to unplug it right now. Otherwise, there's a range of notebook replacement adapters by Kensington and others there, too. Try the shop near F. Er, maybe E. Or D. 8-)

frostbite
31st Dec 2008, 11:42
Also there is the question of regulated and unregulated power supplies.

The latter can go seriously overvolts when provoked.

Loose rivets
31st Dec 2008, 17:39
Firstly. POLARITY!! If the inner pin is supposed to be + for example, putting it the other way round could be expensive. It would probably be protected, but I wouldn't count on it.

My feeling is that the available current of some seven times less than required, would probably just gasp and never give a trickle. But with electrickery, you never know. Putting it on the higher voltage would rely on the laptop loading it down to 'whatever voltage'. Sometimes works, but very norty.

Probably better to do the smiling and asking thing:} << but not quite like that.

seacue
31st Dec 2008, 19:18
Juud,

I'd strongly recommend against attaching the little supply you have to the ASUS.

Please give us the model number of the laptop. Then maybe someone will be able to give you a list of suitable replacement supplies.

seacue