PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Storage when Overseas

dogstar2
31st Dec 2008, 09:04
Does anyone know if there is some arrangement for storing vehicles when going overseas? I have a 12 monther coming up and currently nowhere but a stn car park to leave it in. I just know that my car will end up in the middle of some parade........

airborne_artist
31st Dec 2008, 09:08
PM me if you'd like a covered, secure location, close to the secret Oxonian heli base.

dogstar2
31st Dec 2008, 15:45
Thanks will PM you.

Is there an official logs type place where they can be left securely?

Mr C Hinecap
31st Dec 2008, 15:55
There isn't anything within the system for car storage. You need to source something private and/or unofficial for that. People either leave them with friends/colleagues or sell and buy upon return.

ShyTorque
31st Dec 2008, 16:41
Surely, you're supposed to sell your car at Luton airport and buy another there on your return?

Remember when going to and from my RAFG posting by road. Even though you saved the MOD airfares for you and yours, not only did they not pay any motor mileage beyond Luton but they also took away half a cubic metre from your removals allowance, because you could take a car boot full of kit....

oldbeefer
1st Jan 2009, 08:53
Leaving a car for a year without running it on the road can lead to no end of problems - tyres, brakes, oil seals, cylinder bores etc, etc. Much better to get someone to use it (on your insurance to keep the no claims) or sell. If it must be left, needs a lot of preparation if it's to be in reasonable nick when you get back.

Tiger_mate
1st Jan 2009, 09:13
I recall walking past lots of quite nice motors at an Army camp in Hereford and the surface rust on the brake discs had moved on to outright corrosion. Tyres will need replacing after a year without movement, as many a caravan owner discovers on the once-a-year outing. Park under a tree and see what mother nature can do to a car.

FWIW I would either sell, or get a friend to take care of it by moderate usage.

A2QFI
1st Jan 2009, 09:16
This link from a popular motoring website give useful information.

Honestjohn: Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=37)

miles magistrate
1st Jan 2009, 10:04
Put my car into storage for 2 years on posting. Used a professional Company near Andover and they were excellent with indoor facilities. This was 1992 ish and cost about £40 pm. Car was returned in pristine condition, serviced, MOT etc and gleaming. No problems as listed above and the best part was the Queen paid, however, I am not too sure you can still claim back the cost today - at the time it worked under the same rules that applied when you placed household goods into storage.

MM

Al R
1st Jan 2009, 19:12
If its a nice model, give it to a garage to sell on consignment but require a stupidly firm price. When the garage gives up and asks you to take it back (3-4 months normally), simply ask a mate to collect and repeat elsewhere. It gets detailed/valeted, it gets run, it gets cared for (mmm), it stays on a trader's cover and you might even get a good price.. job's a good 'un. :ok:

If you flick through the dealer pages of a title like Octane, you can spot the musical chairs stock game. Currently, there's a black Enzo doing the rounds. It'll be with Bonhams in 3-6 months with a daft reserve.

West Coast
2nd Jan 2009, 01:51
Left my car in open storage for 8 months during the first Gulf war. I and many came back to find the cars junk. Seems the wild rabbits that lived in the area were kean to eat the insulation on much of the exposed wiring.