PDA

View Full Version : CEA Question

PFMG
30th Dec 2008, 09:08
Can any pruners advise when the spring term Education allowance is due to be paid? I thought it was yesterday but have not seen the dosh arrive in my account.

If it is a problem unique to me does anyone have the phone number for JPA? As you can imagine getting the details when not at work is a bit tricky.

TVM

Rev I. Tin
30th Dec 2008, 09:45
I believe that my CEA claim will be paid on the second pay run, 8 Jan, which is 2 days after the bill should be paid!

Nomorefreetime
30th Dec 2008, 09:55
It should be in the bank for the 1st.
Last lot went in a day late and the JPA advisers (PSF) at the secret wilts base told me it was a problem between me and the school and I would not be able to claim any bank charges back.
Always keep an eye on it now.

VinRouge
30th Dec 2008, 10:51
Depends on how fast New Labours printing presses can go.

Truckkie
30th Dec 2008, 11:47
If you had your claim in by 12 Dec on JPA should be paid 31 Dec - if not will be 8 Jan.
:ok:

SirToppamHat
30th Dec 2008, 12:05
I recall there being 2 initial payment dates as indicated by Rev I. Tin. This was explained on JPA, but I don't recall the reason.

I would be very surprised if your school's Bursar had a problem with payment being a couple of days late. At my kids' schools, I am pretty sure it's only the mil parents who pay on time!

What I don't understand is:

1. Why are there 'windows' within which one has to apply? This is a major, and TOTALLY UNNECESSARY pain in the arse for those deployed in particular.

2. Why do we apply 3 times for each year's allowance?

3. Why, following a person's re-assignment (posting) is one required to prove mobility? Hasn't that just been proved? If everything is already on JPA, why isn't this liability simply a matter of record rather than one having to chase down the poster and beg for a signature at every turn?

4. We have a system that takes 15-20 mins to log-in to (and we are well-off), so checking the Workflow Notifications every hour or so is simply not a reasonable use of time. Why doesn't the JPA Software simply send an email to the normal In-Box so that we know when to go and log-on to JPA?

Bits of JPA are excellent, but most of it is total tripe. Management tool? Bollocks! Oh and don't get me started on the 'little adjustments and changes' that are constantly being made in the interests of consistencey (in favour of the Treasury of course).

Sorry, just got a bit carried away there.

Edited to add: I seem to recall that we were going to be able to access JPA from home at some point - any sign? Thought not.

wetdreamdriver
30th Dec 2008, 15:36
PFMG

I had a later paymant last time. It went into the bank the Friday before the term started on the Monday, so you could get your payment on the 2nd jan.

I bet it was something to do with not having to pay me until the last minute so that I couldn't gain any interest on their money!!!:ugh:

WDD

PFMG
31st Dec 2008, 09:07
Got the dosh this morning :O

For future ref the JPAC civvy number is:

0141 224 3600

Girl in Glasgow was very helpful yesterday afternoon and was able to confirm my claim was in the system. All claims that were in before the Dec 12th deadline should be paid today. :ok:

Wrathmonk
31st Dec 2008, 10:23
STH

Your point 2 is probably because you may not, in September, be eligible for all 3 terms worth of CEA (posting that makes you ineligible (because you go 'voluntary unaccompanied'), leaving the Service part way through the academic year or your child "leaves" the school early;)).

I suspect point 3 is that your posting notice does not state your marital cat - i.e you again become voluntary unaccompanied because Chief of Home Command does not want to leave the Home Counties and move 'oop Norf!

I understand that they are looking (again) very closely at entitlement etc for CEA. I suspect the regulatioons may become worse!

SirToppamHat
31st Dec 2008, 16:27
Been paid today in full.

Wrathmonk - anyone's circumstances can change at any time. By that logic, we should be claiming it weekly or daily. I suspect I can answer my own Q here though - we are billed termly and extras appear on those bills that need to be claimed each term in arrears. Doesn't really apply to me as the basic bills are more than 111.5% of the basic CEA anyway. Still doesn't explain why there is this 'Window Arrangement' though.

It was always necessary to certify on posting that you were still accompanied (or prevented from being accompanied by the Service (no FQ etc)), but the requirement to be subject to further posting is a relatively new one, and can only be completed by the drafter. All I am saying is that the information is, or should be, there in the system. Then again, maybe it's already too complex as it is.

Computer Says "no".

St Johns Wort
14th Jan 2009, 17:56
Just had a look at the new requirements ( in the JSP dated Dec 08) for the CEA Mobility Certificate.

The old one was valid for 5yrs however, as I uderstand it, if yours is over 3 years old you need a new one.

The new one is a much more robust and prolonged process with both internal and external audits to ensure entitlement.

If you are, or about to go, OOA you may want to get the ball rolling soonest for next term.

Help and new form (which has to be registered) is at CEAS at Upavon on 94344 ext 8244 or at [email protected]

Good Luck
St JW

Tracey Island
15th Jan 2009, 09:40
Am currently on my third posting in 3 years, in three disparate areas and my third mobility certificate to certify that.......I'm mobile :ugh:
Well-versed to the process but agree with previous posters that perhaps a one-off declaration held in JPA would simplify and eliminate the paperwork niff-naff and triv....only a thought.

Biggus
15th Jan 2009, 20:47
Given that it appears things may be tightening up, does anyone have previous experience of being deemed no longer eligible for CEA? Presumably this can happen at any arbitary point in the parents career.

Is the CEA funding just withdrawn when the decision is made that they are no longer eligible, at the end of the academic year in progress or at the end of the childs stage of education (e.g say the child has started the first GCSE year, is the funding continued until the end of GCSEs so the child isn't disadvantged?).

St Johns Wort
16th Jan 2009, 18:01
Biggus

You'll get 1 terms notice.

Biggus
17th Jan 2009, 06:36
SJW

Many thanks for the reply, I thought it was in danger of drifting by unanswered.

One terms notice, thats generous (not!) - and no doubt the only reason you get one terms notice is that you usually have to give the school one terms notice or you are still liable for the next terms fees!!

Did you expeience this personally, or are you quoting from the relevant AP?

St Johns Wort
17th Jan 2009, 09:28
Biggus

I got the heads up from a mate and had a look at the JSP on line (intranet). The old mob cert was valid for 5yrs irrespective of postings but the new one has 4 main requirements, max 3yr validity being one of them.

It originates at Upavon, at your request, and is registered. Once you fill in your bits its authorised (audited) by your OC, thence to your desk officer/drafter for his bit and then to Upavon (through you) for external validation. You will eventually get the completed item.

I've not had a drama, yet, and expected a tightening up of the system but an early heads up from the powers that be would have been helpfull given the time lines.

St JW

Biggus
18th Jan 2009, 20:10
SJW

I'm already in the CEA system. My memories of getting my last mobility certificate were that it was quite straightforward. However, it expires this year, and I'm not 100% certain that I will be considered sufficiently mobile this time around, so I was trying to work out the worse case scenario.

Does this mean that 52 yr olds(+) aren't eligeable for CEA, since by definition they won't (unlikely/shouldn't) be posted in the next 3 years...??

Presumably by the mere fact that there is such a thing as a mobility certificate the "we are in the military and can be moved anywhere at short notice" arguement is not valid.

St Johns Wort
22nd Jan 2009, 09:16
Biggus

Check your PMs

St JW