PDA

View Full Version : Cancelled my flight training

jgreer43
30th Dec 2008, 00:21
Hi All,

I've recently turned down my chance to join an integrated course. I thought about it long and hard and have decided that due to the current reduction in jobs, global financial climate etc etc etc I'd pull out.

Its a career path i'd still like to follow at some point. In the future I think i'd go modular for financial reasons (as i'm soon to be getting my first place). Untill then...someone tell me i've made the right decision?!? Or is now the right time to jump into an integrated course before it becomes too late? http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/wbored.gif

Thanks, James.

mcgoo
30th Dec 2008, 00:55
Nobody can predict the future but you have answered your own question in a way!

is now the right time to jump into an integrated course before it becomes too late?

In the future I think i'd go modular for financial reasons (as i'm soon to be getting my first place).

and

I thought about it long and hard and have decided that due to the current reduction in jobs, global financial climate etc etc etc I'd pull out.

LH2
30th Dec 2008, 00:59
If it's purely down to completion times, from my experience, a modular course takes less than a year, while my understanding is integrated courses last anything between 14 months to three years.

So there you go, while you play it safe by, hopefully, keeping your job and steadying your finances, you can still study for your theory exams and hour build as the situation permits.

I for one cannot see a fault in your decision, if that's what you were asking.

27/09
30th Dec 2008, 01:18
As many people will tell you that you have made the wrong decision as will tell you that you made the right decision.

Only you will really know.

In these uncertain times I think you have made the correct decision. You have the opportunity now to save some moeny and take a look around you and reassess your future. Aviation is boom and bust, and more often bust, do you want to work in that sort of industry?

Our system over here is structured differently to yours in Europe, so I cannot make a direct comparision, however I would offer the following comments.

Whenever I see "intergrated" I envision a high rate of expenditure and therefore a big loan to pay back, a crammed training scheme done to a very precise script which does not give exposure to a variety of conditions/circumstances, trainees without life experience.

When I see "modular" I envision a controlled rate of expenditure and little or no loan, an unhurried training scheme which allows room to experience variety, and trainee with more life skills and experience outside aviation.

The integrated providers have very slick advertising which sells their product very well, but I think the modular way is just as good, perhaps better in the long term. I was once told, airlines don't care how well you can fly, they will teach you how they want their planes flown; they are more interested in how you work with others in a team and what life skills you have.

In the end you have go with what your gut instinct tells you along with the best information you can get. Remember almost nothing is forever you can always change your mind. Be happy with your choice.

G SXTY
30th Dec 2008, 08:16
Absolutely the right decision just now. You'll make life so much easier for yourself if you can time commercial training to coincide with an upturn in the industry. With an integrated course that means being able to predict the job market 14 months down the road. The advantage of modular is that you can work full time and still do a PPL, hours building and written exams without spending vast amounts of cash, and only commit to the CPL/IR 3 or 4 months before you plan to qualify.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't want to be a 200hr newbie looking for a first job for at least 2 or 3 years.

johnnyDB
30th Dec 2008, 09:54
not sure about wright or wrong, age also has something to do with it, but if i were in your position now, i would have made the same decision.

Wee Weasley Welshman
30th Dec 2008, 10:29
Smart decision.

The economic TAF dictates the wise aviator leaves the hangar door shut just now.

JohnRayner
30th Dec 2008, 12:22
Decisions like this really do boil down to different strokes for different folks. So long as you've made a rational evaluation of your training needs and your ability to finance them (did I read you're getting a place?) then you'll make the decision that's right for you.

It is quite galling to realise and admit to yourself you've got to suck it in for a bit longer before doing what you want to, isn't it!?

Good luck

JR :ok:

Bearing 123
30th Dec 2008, 13:09
For what its worth.....I think you have made a very informed, wise and brave decision. Too many people charge on regardless and come unstuck. Its absolutely horrible on the job front at the moment and those of us with jobs are hanging on to them for dear life.
Take your time, keep an eye on the industry as it will get better at some stage, but definitely not in the near future.

Well Done and Good Luck:ok:

Halfwayback
30th Dec 2008, 14:16
A hard decision but, in my book, the right one.

Having been LHS since 1990 and watched a complete aviation cycle of 'bust to boom and back to bust again' it is not good to watch major airlines laying good pilots off. The situation is exacerbated when airlines go down the pan and there are even more pilots around. That is where we are NOW and no doubt it will not bottom out for some time.

When the recruitment starts there wil be experienced pilots ready to go and I'm sorry but the majority of airlines will take the younger experienced pilot over the 'newbie' every time.

Those 'experienced' pilots will no doubt be like me - used to spending what they earn and will have a nice house with a sizeable mortgage and other demanding financial commitments. If they lose their income they will be more that eager to take any flying job to keep the proverbial wolf from the door. That's when the new guy is unfortunately sucking the hind teat.

There are exceptional offers out there in the training world because they face bankruptcy if they don't have a throughput. However there is little point spending your cash now with no prospect of employment for months perhaps years.

This post is not intended to be unecessarily gloomy but is how I see the current situation.

So 'Yes James' - you made the right decision and I wish you good luck when you decide to rejoin the treadmill to becoming a commercial pilot - it is the best profession!

HWB

Andy_R
30th Dec 2008, 16:07
At your age I think you have made the correct move on that chessboard of life.

However, use the time to gain your PPL, take the time to enjoy it and hour build constructively and enjoy the opportunities when they arise again; you will still have years left in you! If in the meantime you decide it is not for you, at least you will have your PPL and you can really enjoy your flying anyhow!

heli_port
30th Dec 2008, 16:31
Well done James! you have done the right thing.

Good luck :ok:

Lurking123
30th Dec 2008, 16:34
James, as others have said, consider the modular route. You can do things at your own pace and manage finances accordingly. Just make sure that you are safe in your current job :eek:. Reading this thread it is easy to forget that almost every aspect of society is going to suffer next year; the issue is not aviation specific. Unless you are a doctor, undertaker, company administrator or politician, it is likely that your particular work sector will be affected.

skeletor
30th Dec 2008, 17:44
In the future I think i'd go modular for financial reasons (as i'm soon to be getting my first place).

Be very careful taking on financial commitments! Monthly mortgage payments or possible negative equity are bad when you have flying lessons to pay for!

Course you might make a packet, flog the house, and learn to fly for free.....wouldn't be the first! Good luck and keep the faith.

smith
30th Dec 2008, 18:41
Bravo :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

First sensible post on this subject for a looooooooooooong time.

Glad you are not one of those tits "who follow the dream through thick and thin", following your dream just ain't gonna keep the wolf from the door.

Well done mate, a realist amongst us at last.

SilveR5
30th Dec 2008, 19:57
Sorry James for going off topic a bit..

Andy_R
What if the guy is older...turning 30 years old for example...would you just recommend proceeding with training now?

As far as I know, age is not that critical when hiring a newbie pilot, is it?!

Wee Weasley Welshman
30th Dec 2008, 21:31
Quote:
Smart decision.

The economic TAF dictates the wise aviator leaves the hangar door shut just now.

The Economic Taf = WWW?!

Well spotted ;)

AlphaMale
30th Dec 2008, 21:56
Wise choice.

I saved to go abroad and do a 0-fATPL course but decided to jump on the property ladder before it was too late (property was going up quicker than I could save) but that was 18 months ago and I'd estimate I would have completed my training right about now.

Where would that leave me? I'd still be looking to get my own place, I'd have to keep myself current and fly as much as possible over the next 2 / 3 year to stop myself from getting rusty, with no sniff of a job until at least 2010.

Integrated would have been expensive and taken away the option of finishing at the right time.

Good luck and welcome to being a home owner ;)

AlexXeno
30th Dec 2008, 22:54
Assuming the cyclic nature of the industry, would a modular course over 3-4 years not be the best option? Hopefully cheaper training deals as reduced demand, and jobs should hopefully be more available in the future... Best of both worlds?

@AlphaMale: I did that about two years ago. My 'Luxury New Build Apartment' is probably worth 20k less than I paid for it! Oh well, you learn from your mistakes.

captain_overspeed
31st Dec 2008, 05:06
Please do not join anything until I have my dream job. That way I know there is at least one less pilot out there looking for a job. j/k

It's your life. Only you know what is good for you.

BelArgUSA
31st Dec 2008, 06:07
jgreer43 -
xxx
I think you made a mature decision in view of the present job outlook.
And I join the many who seem to agree with that opinion.
It is a command decision, As captain you must be able to take decisions.
xxx
You are young enough, quite young still.
If you miss being fully active pilot, consider doing a CPL+IR+ME...
Obtain the theory of ATPL subjects, and prepare the study of the subjects.
And if an offer comes to be an instructor, take it, THEN do the training.
Do not do the training for nothing, or for pleasure of wasting your money.
All that does not prevent you from sending CVs around the world.
xxx
I know it might be heartbreaking for you at this time.
Let all these kids around you cry on Pprune "where are the jobs"...?
When things get better, 2 or 3 years hopefully, things will be better.
And then you can go for a fATPL, and maybe select a type rating...?
Except money, modular or integrated does not matter.
The licence paper is the same.
xxx
All the best, and happy new year.
:ok:
Happy contrails