PDA

View Full Version : Question for Military Historians

Flash2001
30th Dec 2008, 00:20
Gentlemen, I am about to purchase a copy of Anabasis. Which, in your considered opinion, is the best translation from the point of view of english readability?

After an excellent landing you can use the airplane again!

Mr C Hinecap
30th Dec 2008, 05:34
You could always read Dakyn's translation for free:

Anabasis by Xenophon - Project Gutenberg (http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1170)

Flash2001
30th Dec 2008, 16:47
Thank you Mr. C

I've seen it. I'm looking for a book though, and wondering about other translations that may not be on the web. I come from a generation (or maybe it's a tradition) that doesn't equate electronic presentation with well organized paper. After about half an hour reading print on the very small screen, I have a headache and my eyes feel like pissholes in the snow!

Thanks again.

Mr C Hinecap
30th Dec 2008, 17:51
We have printers where I come from. We can make the magic electronic words real! :E

(You'll get no decent answer on the subject of ancient land wars from a bunch of Aircrew anyway)

Flash2001
30th Dec 2008, 22:51
Mr. C

Perhaps, but I can't make them pretty! I take your point about aircrew interest in the subject though. I thought it would be studied in terms of leadership, adaptability etc. What the Russians call "Continuously operating factors".

Melchett01
31st Dec 2008, 00:28
I guess it all depends whether you are after an edition that is an easy / interesting read ie for the story, or are looking for a bit of linguistic accuracy and are after a decent technical translation.

Apparently Rex Warner's translation i(Penguin) is supposed to be quite good and a bit easier going than some of the others. But frankly, having suffered classics at school, I think you must have a screw loose to want to read it for pleasure :E

Flash2001
31st Dec 2008, 16:33
M01

Thanks for directing me to the Warner translation. I didn't know about it. While I was never good at literature in school, I used to annoy hell out of my teachers by actually enjoying Shakespeare. Nevertheless, most of my screws are correctly torqued (at least enough to hold my head on).