PDA

View Full Version : HD Plasma Screens

ORAC
29th Dec 2008, 21:59
Just for those tempted to buy in the sales.....

Put Dreams Of A New HDTV On Pause (http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/dec/14/bz-put-dreams-of-a-new-hdtv-on-pause/)

Have I caught you in time?

Did you already buy a new HDTV for the holidays? Maybe one of those mythical $500, door-buster thingies?

If you did buy one, that's great. Enjoy your new TV. Just don't read the rest of this column.

OK, still with me? That's good. Because if you haven't bought a new HDTV yet, you definitely do not want to buy one during these holidays - unless the surprise on Christmas morning is worth hundreds more dollars to you. If you can hold off just three more months - just 90 days - you're about to look very smart.

Yes, right now spiffy, 42-inch HDTVs might be selling for less than $1,000. But how does $600 sound? Or maybe $500? Do I have your attention? Good. Prices for HDTVs are about to fall, sharply, again. And here's why.

Reason 1: HDTV prices normally drop between 30 to 40 percent a year, but not gradually. The price drops come in spurts, so the trick is to time your purchase smartly. Which brings me to ...

Reason 2: No more price collusion. Even with those price drops, three major LCD TV makers just confessed to one of the dumbest things companies can do - price fixing. According to the Justice Department, LG Display Co. Ltd., Sharp Corp. and Chunghwa Picture Tubes Ltd. spent their time in meetings colluding to keep their prices up. That prompted a $585 million federal fine. Just my theory, but just like kicking the leg out from under an entertainment center, without that artificial support, prices will have nowhere to go but down.

Reason 3: The awful, awful economy. Big, shiny, luscious HDTVs just about define "discretionary spending." And just about everyone is wondering whether they'll be drawing a paycheck this time next year. So, if you're betting the economy will stay bad, or get worse, then expect TV makers and retailers to have way too many TVs sitting on their shelves after Christmas, prompting a circus of post-holiday sales. But you should still wait another month beyond January.

Reason 4: Many TV makers introduce their new models around February. That's when you'll see newer/bigger models for the same amount of money, and older/smaller models collapse in price as retail outlets look to clear out older stuff. I know February is just after the Super Bowl, but if you must buy a new TV, February is perhaps the smartest month.

For serious TV hunters, here is some more great insider's advice from Jim Willcox, senior editor of Consumer Reports.

Big brand-name TV makers such as Sony, Samsung and Toshiba have started to lose their tolerance for upstart, lesser-known TV makers (such as Vizio) sneaking into the market with private-label brands for warehouse and discount stores. The Big Guys are just starting to fight back with their own lower-priced models. They may not have every bell and whistle, but they can cost $300 to $400 less than their own mainstream versions.

Don't forget a couple extra details. You don't want the 720p resolution. Get a higher resolution 1080p version instead. They look nicer. And a 120Hz "refresh rate" gives LCD TVs smoother images during fast motion sports or car chases. If you know exactly the model you want, check out warehouse clubs such as Costco, which can have terrific return policies.

It's a lot to follow, yes.

So, as a reward for reading this far, I offer these Extra Bonus Tips:

You price-haggle, right? Yes, you can and should haggle over prices - but not necessarily on the HDTV. Normally, HDTVs come with a 13- to 14-percent profit margin, according to industry research. That means there isn't much wiggle room on the TV. But profit margins can top 30 percent on audio equipment, DVD players and such. So if you buy everything together, the retailer will often slash prices on the speakers or a new Blu-ray player to close the deal.

Over the next few months, "It will be a roller coaster for prices," said George Liu, owner of Audio Visions South in Tampa, one of Florida's highest-end audio and video boutiques. He notes prices already came back up after Black Friday. His advice: Get to know a local audio-video expert who can give you advice over time on when to buy and at what price.

Oh, and one more thing. Consider buying at the end of the month. That's when sales managers are trying to make their monthly quotas and are most willing to offer bigger discounts.

Wing Commander Fowler
29th Dec 2008, 22:03
Thanx ORAC - great tips. Hope all's well with you. :ok:

crewmeal
30th Dec 2008, 05:49
But whilst that all may be true inm the States, here in the UK many of the Electrical Companies such as Sony Panasonic and Samsung have announced price rises in 2009 because of the continual fall of the pound.

May be its best to keep monitoring sites like play.com, amazon etc. When I return to the UK in Sept 09 I will be in the market for a new LCD HD tv + blu-ray player.

ORAC
2nd Jan 2009, 11:12
1. As a general rule LCDs are as good as Plasmas up to 42", above that Plasmas are, as yet, better.

2. Plasmas are better in dark conditions are have a faster response time - i.e. better for sports. LCDs are much better than they were, but fast action can still show some lagging/smearing.

3. LCDs use less power and in theory have a longer life, but even plasmas will last for around 30K hours before losing half their brilliance. Work out the number of years that is at your weekly viewing hours; it wasn't a relevant limitation for me.

4. Blu-ray movies are recorded in 1080p, HD TV in 1080i, hence a 1080p TV is best to cover all needs, but is only a factor for 42"+ screens, below that the pixel count means anything in 1080p will be downscaled anyway.

5. 100hz sets double the refresh rate giving the same update rate for 1080i as you'd get using 1080p.

6. it's getting like hi-fi, there are lots of esoteric features and companies claiming more contrast, magazines telling you how to adjust the settings etc -but 99% of people wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Recommendation? Go look at an LCD "HD Ready" (1080i) screen playing a fast action Blu-ray movie and some sports against a 1080p plasma; if you can't see the difference buy the cheaper.

anotherthing
2nd Jan 2009, 13:22
couple fo more pointers -

1. look at the contrast ratio.

Try not to buy anything with a ratio less than 1:5000...

1:10000 or higher is better still

2. Check how many HDMI slots the TV has - go for an absolute minimum of 2

3. Size of screen - depends on budget and size of room. Rule of thumb, measure the distance from the normal viewing seat to the TV screen (in inches).

Divide this figure in 2.

The resultant figure (or only slightly higher), is the largest screen size you should go for, to prevent you starting to notice the pixels.

There's no point splashing out on an all singing, all dancing plasma/LCD TV with a brilliant picture, if you end up sitting too close to it!!

cyclops16
2nd Jan 2009, 15:39
Can one of these Plasma TV's be wired to a computer to act as a large monitor? I have SBS-1 running on my laptop and the screen is too small for my eyes,so I am thinking of either an extra large screen(21ins) monitor or if these TV's can take the input from a PC as that might be a cheaper option in the long run and twice the size.

Mike6567
2nd Jan 2009, 19:46
I understand using a Plasma as a monitor will have problems "burning" the screen.
This is not the case with LCD.

srobarts
2nd Jan 2009, 20:18
Can one of these Plasma TV's be wired to a computer to act as a large monitor? I have SBS-1 running on my laptop and the screen is too small for my eyes,so I am thinking of either an extra large screen(21ins) monitor or if these TV's can take the input from a PC as that might be a cheaper option in the long run and twice the size.
Yes it can work as a PC monitor if it has a VGA input but avoid the plasma for something like your SBS-1 you will end up with burn in the screen.
My son brings his PC down to play games on our 37" LCD and it is superb.
We hook my laptop up to the TV for the ever so boring holiday picture shows to our guests!!
Have fun