PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Ground theory

carty23
29th Dec 2008, 20:33
Hey guys, the following might be a bore for you but I have a future ambition of becoming a pilot, one I have held for a very long time, and I would like some advice off you. I am currently 15 and in my final year at high school, and the following are the grades I achieved for my GCSE mock exams Last month:

GCSE English Language: Done actual GCSE Test (early entry) and awaiting results in January
GCSE Maths: C :ugh:
# OCR Nationals level 2 in science: AAAA
GCSE History: A
GCSE Geography: A
GCSE Product Design: A
GCSE Religious Studies: A*

So, as you can see, my Maths result is the only odd one out, which is very unfortunate because I heard that ATPL ground theory is very numerate, and I’m not a very “numerate person” and sometimes have to go over things a couple of times to get the hack of things other people may find simple. My maths teacher put on my report that I am predicted a grade B at GCSE, and I should achieve it if I attend revision sessions and revise. Do you think my maths would cause a problem for me on the theory?

# As for my Science goes, I did the qualification mentioned above, an OCR nationals level 2 in science (which covers Biology, Chemistry and Physics) but is more of a vocational course than the separate science’s or dual award, but either way it equates to 4 GCSE’s A*-C. As you can see, I excelled well and finished the course in one year, but in all honesty, it wasn’t hard. Because of this, my science teacher wondered what we could do for the final year, and she decided that she would teach us an AS level in Applied Science. We have completed two units already and they have been sent off for moderation (get results in January). Both of the two units were out of 50 and I scored 44 in one and 42 in the other. Now all that is left to complete the course is to do an exam, biology based, entitled “monitoring the activity of the human body.” There is no physics content in this course; however, we did touch slightly on energy. Therefore, I do not considered myself to be a good physics person; do you think this will cause a problem for me on the theory?

I really do want to become a pilot, and although the assessment centre FTO’s offer would give me a better understanding whether I am capable of becoming one, do you think my qualifications are “good enough” to tackle the theory? :confused:

I am going on to sixth form next year (September), and I have chosen Geography, History, Sociology and Applied Science for my A levels, (the college agreed that if a certain number or more chose Applied Science from my class who are doing the AS, we would be able to go straight into the A2 year at our first year at college), and although none of these would help me as a pilot, I would rather get A’s and B’s in subjects I know I’m capable of achieving in than rather go for subjects that I know I will struggle with and probably end up coming out with D’s and E’s at A level.

Am I just unnecessary worrying or is there a cause for concern? All replies would be very appreciated, thank you in advance, Chris. :ok:

Sorry about the font, I copied and pasted it from a document and typed up on word before.

Whirlygig
29th Dec 2008, 20:52
Personally, I don't believe that anyone with a modicum of intelligence is "just not numerate!. They feel that because a teacher made them feel that. People who think they can't do maths just had a crap teacher!!

However, why don't you apply yourself (and nag your teachers) in getting better grades at maths in the summer and then go for maths and physics A-levels!! Then you'd find ATPL studies easier!

It's not saying you couldn't do it with purely Arts qualifications but you may find it harder without a good grounding.

Cheers

Whirls

Eurotraveller
29th Dec 2008, 21:31
Hi carty23,

I wasn't a maths/science type at school, I worked hard and got reasonable grades at GCSE then did French, History, Geography and English at A Level. I went on to pass the ATPL theory exams a couple of years later, it was hard work but I had no real problems.

It's true that there is a maths and science element to the exams, but the reality is that many of them are an exercise in retaining large amounts of non-technical facts and information. There is of course an amount of technical theory which must be understood in some of the subjects, but pick a decent school and the course notes, brush-ups (assuming distance learning here) and a good measure of hard graft will see you through. I used Bristol and never looked back. It's probably easier if you've done some science at a higher level, but it's certainly do-able if you haven't, as long as you're willing to apply yourself and work hard at understanding concepts which you might never have met before.

I would say work hard at your GCSE's and A-Levels, as good qualifications will provide you with other job options, particularly important with the economy in the state it's in at the moment.

carty23
29th Dec 2008, 21:53
Thanks for the replies.

I know I'm only 15 but I'm constantly researching on becoming a pilot, a few years ago I only knew of cabair and OAA, now I know a lot more schools and it's just becoming more harder to chose which one! Which is a few years away for me of course, but knowing more now probably will be beneficial to me in the long run.

But I certainly will be trawling my way through the many topics on this forum to help me.

Thanks once again :ok:

*edited: spelling*

Nearly There
29th Dec 2008, 22:38
*edited: spelling*

Carty, thanks, it makes a pleasant change for someone of your age to come on here with nice written english and not text speak, 'i wont 2b a pilot an wanna no.....'

Not being old fashioned, it just makes a nice change.:8

At your age, have you considered joining the air cadets? you will learn many subjects which will help when you come to the ground school phase of your future flight training, and free flying/gliding training to give you a great head start when it comes to the air exercises for the PPL and CPL.

As for the maths at ATPL level, nothing to complicated, more learning a formula or two! but once you know how to use them its straight forward.
In my ground school class there were several of us 30 to 40 years old, been out of school a while! and not used formulas or trig etc for a long time but soon picked it up, and none of us were mathematicians by any means.

Good luck:ok:

XX621
31st Dec 2008, 07:28
Carty, thanks, it makes a pleasant change for someone of your age to come on here with nice written english and not text speak, 'i wont 2b a pilot an wanna no.....'

Not being old fashioned, it just makes a nice change.:8
:ok:

Hear, hear. Couldn't agree more.

MMEMatty
31st Dec 2008, 12:58
Carty23,

Having gone through all 3 tiers of the education system in in this country, and then gone on to do the fATPL, in my opinion, the A-Levels are the hardest things to do.

Not unlike youself, i was predicted (and went on to achieve) quite good results at GCSE. A-levels, well i managed to get a C,D, and E. Not the best! Partly due, if im honest, to not putting as much work in, and partly due to the teaching. I would definately recommend you do a subject that interests you, if you enjoy the subject it makes it easier to concentrate on what your supposed to be learning! Having said that, try to avoid the "huggy fluff" subjects - media studies, etc. The ones you have chosen look like a good mix to my eyes.

As for the ATPL theory exams, i personally found them to be about a GCSE "advanced" level - i.e. A/B standard, rather than C standard, if that makes sense. Going by your predicted results, if you apply yourself i see no reason why you cannot get first time passes in the exams, when you come to take them. Whilst a lot of the ATPL theory exam is a memory exercise, I would advise anyone taking them to at least get a grasp of the concepts that are being put forward, if not the detail. You would be surprised how much of it crops up on a Type Rating, and when you are on line!

I would also echo Nearly There's comment about joining the Air Traning Corps. Apart from the things already mentioned, there are opportunities to go on annual camp to a live RAF station, shooting competitions, and many other opportunities. Another thing you may wish to consider is the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme - your school will have more details on this, or visit Home - The Duke of Edinburgh's Award (http://www.dofe.org)

Hopefully some of that might be of some use to you!

All the best in your studies, and a happy new year.

Matty