PDA

View Full Version : Security?

Biggles225
29th Dec 2008, 13:45
Short article in todays Times on line re a man who travelled through Birmingham Airport on his sisters passport and got as far as Islamabad before anyone, including him, noticed!
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm :confused:

Airbubba
29th Dec 2008, 14:17
Some folks go through Islamabad all the time for 'training' at one of the 'camps'. Nothing new, just read the report on any recent terror incident, e.g. LHR, EDI, BOM etc.

kingair9
29th Dec 2008, 15:49
It is nowhere easier leaving the country and getting on an international plane than in the UK.

I do approx. 15-20 UK business trips per year (I hold a CPL but do something completely different these days) and in approx. 80-90% of the trips NOBODY is checking the passport (STN, LHR, LGW, NCL, EMA, BHX, MAN) if you follow certain -perfectly legal- procedures...

andrewmcharlton
29th Dec 2008, 15:57
Get on almost any FR flight out of DUB and it's the same, they don't even seem to care if you have anything vaguely like a passport half the time.

Bernoulli
29th Dec 2008, 16:16
I can't say that I find it at all surprising. The focus of UK 'Security' seems to be on taking from me my toothpaste or shaving gel. Boy oh boy, they're sh*t hot at that. From my position as the Captain of a widebody jet I despise the visible elements of airport 'security'. I'm thinking of joining the protest group 'Plane Stupid' as a means of getting airside with less hassle.

(OK I know that checking passports isn't the role of 'security' but the thread allowed me to gave a go at the vermin that infest that area).

StoneyBridge Radar
29th Dec 2008, 16:24
No liquids, no sharp objects, but it's fine to use someone else's passport :mad:

Terror alert after traveller flies to Pakistan on swister's passport - Sunday Mercury (http://www.sundaymercury.net/news/midlands-news/2008/12/27/terror-alert-after-traveller-flies-to-pakistan-on-swister-s-passport-66331-22558179/)

glad rag
29th Dec 2008, 16:59
Was he wearing a bhurka ?

captplaystation
29th Dec 2008, 17:05
He would never have got past if he had been crew :} :mad:

As usual what fecked up priorities exist in the realm of airport "security" is yet again highlighted.
Quick, confiscate another bottle of water from the crew , that'll take care of it. :=

RoyHudd
29th Dec 2008, 18:45
BHX Security are truly excellent, except when it comes to errrr.. security. Try upsetting them with a sealed bottle of water, and you'll learn what security means in these bozos' minds!
Pilot uniform makes such important security threats even more prone to hostile reaction.

But true security issues? Ah no, a different thing altogether. Laughable really.

lexxity
29th Dec 2008, 19:15
Security don't check passports. The hired in team for the airline do. I don't know who does that at BHX. Swissport are also at fault too.

Avman
29th Dec 2008, 20:03
It is NOT security's job to verify passports!!! That is for check-in and gate staff. Furthermore, why no boarding card and passport checks on departure? Still goes on in many other European countries when travelling to non Schengen destinations.

boardingpass
30th Dec 2008, 06:53
Sorry for my ignorance, but when you leave the UK for a non Schengen country, do you not need to pass through passport control where state police will check your passport?? That is the procedure in Italy.

Furthermore, I realise the people confiscating your shampoo do not check passports, but in the eye of the joe public passenger, it is all classed as a failure of security...

Avman
30th Dec 2008, 09:32
boardingpass, that's my point. There's no longer passport control for departing pax in the UK, whatever their destination. To be fair, they do have immigration personnel hanging around the security area to pounce on anyone they deem worthy of a closer look at, but that's very random.