PDA

View Full Version : Nav exam- can it be done from OAT CD roms?

liam548
28th Dec 2008, 19:05
Ive got the green book but wondering if I can get through the exam just using the OAT whizz wheel and navigation CD roms?

Anyone done it that way? I have confuser as well.

Not actually done any nav for real so get the feeling it is going to be tough.

Liam

Duchess_Driver
28th Dec 2008, 19:53
Your FTO/RF should have mock exams which will be pretty similar to the real one. There is nothing wrong with reading the green book and planning practice routes until you get the hang of it. The exercises in the green book and the confuser should put you in good stead.

Read the book, then apply what you've learnt when flying the Nav part of the PPL course. You'll then have a better appreciation of both the theoretical and practical aspects before you do the actual exam.

Justiciar
28th Dec 2008, 22:10
Why are you looking for the easy way through this? Nav is probably the most important exam, not because you need to tick it off the list but because when you do it for real it will at best save your life and at worst stop you looking a complete plonker when you get it wrong.

It is not about "getting through the exam" but actually understanding what is going on in the air. Once you have passed the exam and got your PPL you will develop your own navigation techniques. But, you can't do this until you have mastered the basics.

liam548
29th Dec 2008, 06:16
Why are you looking for the easy way through this? Nav is probably the most important exam, not because you need to tick it off the list but because when you do it for real it will at best save your life and at worst stop you looking a complete plonker when you get it wrong.

It is not about "getting through the exam" but actually understanding what is going on in the air. Once you have passed the exam and got your PPL you will develop your own navigation techniques. But, you can't do this until you have mastered the basics.

im not looking for an easy way of getting through it, just the best.

I take it from the replies the book is a better route than any CD roms.

Justiciar
29th Dec 2008, 15:04
I take it from the replies the book is a better route than any CD roms.

Most CDs are not comprehensive enough on their own, but are a good complement to the book and I think personally that using both gives you differing perspectives on a subject, which is good. But, if you can't stretch to both then go for the books.

Put1992
29th Dec 2008, 15:20
Read the green book, don't miss anything out, and consolidate what you've learnt with the confuser. Learn at a rate which suits you, and at regular intervals so you don't end up forgetting the first parts of the book once you hit the end.

I should really take my own advice sometimes:rolleyes:

tangovictor
29th Dec 2008, 22:34
Justiciar hit the nail on the head,
I used the OAT cd's rather than books, for all my exams "except Nav"
the nav cd isn't in my opinion that good, very confusing
might I suggest do some flying and navigating, a whole lot become apparent
once you have done so.

dontpressthat
29th Dec 2008, 22:55
Personally I wouldnt want to up in the sky anywhere near anybody who had 'got through' the navigation exam using the easiest method.

DPT