PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a "3h type rating" under the JARs?

Capt. Spock
28th Dec 2008, 18:01
Hello,

I recently went to see a flight school in Bulgaria for an ME IR rating and was told that I should do 3 hours of flight training on a PA-44 before I could actually start logging time towards the rating. They tought the 3 hour training requirement on a new type was in the JARs but weren't sure. My previous twin time is on PA-30. Is there actually such a requirement?

Thanks! :ok:

LH2
28th Dec 2008, 19:13
As long as you have an MEP rating, and the required hours (TT, PIC, etc), and a Class I audiogram, and whatever else is needed, you're good to go. Perhaps you're a bit short on some of the hours? Those wouldn't need to be done on an MEP aircraft, though.

Incidentally, does this school hire to already qualified pilots? Do you have a price list?

Irv
28th Dec 2008, 20:44
Has Bulgaria automatically become "JAR mutual" with EASA coming of age this year? I don't think it was "JAR" under its own right.

LH2
29th Dec 2008, 01:43
lrv,

details here: http://www.easa.europa.eu/ws_prod/s/doc/BulgariaExclusion.pdf

No new developments that I'm aware of.

Of important note to the OP is the fact that, while the exclusion is obviously geared towards operators, an uninformed reading of the aforementioned regulation appears to suggest that Bulgarian flight crew licences are not recognised under FCL-1.

Sciolistes
29th Dec 2008, 02:31
Unlike SEPs, differences training is required when moving to a MEP variant not previously flown or not current on. Differences training in this case specifically means ground school and flight training. There is no time requirement other than sufficient time to perform the usual routines and cover any notable , errm, differences. I guess it makes sense to separate it from the IR as you'll be doing visual stuff.

Differences training is not the same as a type rating which is not required as the PA4 is variant within a class.

To answer your question, there is no minimum training time requirement for differences training.

Capt. Spock
29th Dec 2008, 06:44
Thank you for your input everyone. About Bulgaria not being a full JAA member, the school has its FTO approval issued by the Serbian CAA.

Whopity
29th Dec 2008, 08:41
If it is JAA approved it should have an approved Training Manual that clearly lays down the pre-entry requirements to any approved training course.

As stated there is no such requirement.
http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/607069.pdf

LH2
29th Dec 2008, 10:20
Unlike SEPs, differences training is required when moving to a MEP variant not previously flown or not current on

Could you please provide a JAR reference for this? Not Lasors please, which apart from non authoritative is not applicable. Either a JAR reference or a Serbian national law reference would be welcome.

Whopity
29th Dec 2008, 10:34
JAR-FCL 1.235

(c) Variants. If the variant has not been
flown within a period of 2 years following the
differences training, further differences training
or a proficiency check in that variant will be
required except for types or variants within the
SEP class rating.
(1) Differences training requires
additional knowledge and training on an
appropriate training device or the aeroplane.
The differences training shall be
entered in the pilot’s logbook or equivalent
document and signed by a CRI/TRI/SFI(A) or
FI(A) as appropriate.
(2) Familiarisation training requires
the acquisition of additional knowledge.

Irv
29th Dec 2008, 12:12
the school has its FTO approval issued by the Serbian CAA.

Serbia? JAA FCL? I obviously missed that too!

Capt. Spock
29th Dec 2008, 15:01
Irv, yes they are full members of the JAA.

JAA | Licensing Overview (http://www.jaa.nl/licensing/licensing_overview.html)

LH2
29th Dec 2008, 18:03
JAR-FCL 1.235

Thank you. I wasn't sure if it was a JAR requirement or a UK ANO one.