PDA

View Full Version : advertisement

Spunk
28th Dec 2008, 17:53
No matter what business you are looking at, most of them are using some sort of advertisment. However it came to my mind that you hardly ever get to see a helicopter company placing a commercial on TV or at the movies.
So here is my question:
What kind of advertisement is your company using to attract new customers?

Canuck Guy
28th Dec 2008, 18:43
Your last customer is always your best advertiser.:ok:

EN48
28th Dec 2008, 19:17
you hardly ever get to see a helicopter company placing a commercial on TV or at the movies.

The reason for this is that this kind of advertising is not cost effective in reaching small niche markets. You pay to get the message to large numbers of viewer/readers who will never be customers. A more targeted form of market communications (direct mail for example) is usually more effective for the tiny market segment(s) for which the use of a helicopter make sense.

Ned-Air2Air
28th Dec 2008, 21:29
Depends on where the mags actually go to. For example we also send our mags to a specific market segment that regularly contracts for helicopters and we have a couple of advertisers that like to keep their name in front of these people.

Bottom line it depends on what market segment you are targeting. If you are an ag operator then yes direct mail is best. If you are a corporate operator then maybe a mix of ads and direct mail and if you are a supplier to oil n gas industry etc then sometimes adverts do make a difference. Its not about getting a return straight away on the ad spend, its about creating that brand awareness.

Ned

Runway101
29th Dec 2008, 05:09
There is more than paid advertising in print media and direct mailing guys.

When it comes to Helicopter tours etc, I've seen brochures at airports and ads in tourist guides.

Also for tours, I've seen operators teaming up with other companies such as supermarkets to promote these flights, often combined with a competition or free ride.

Being present with a helicopter on local events (fairs, shows, Octoberfest, etc) also raises awareness of Joe Sixpack that there is a helicopter company around and what they can do.

Having an editor from a local newspaper on the back seat and let him write a story about some jobs being done is also a great way to get "free" advertisement out, especially if this is again combined with a free givaway and some sort of other event with the newspaper (they give away a free helicopter ride for whatever reason).

Think about your existing customer. If you are flying for a construction company think about what they could do for you. Next time they make a mailing to their customers or send out their customer magazine, you could be in there for free.

You could simply make a list of potential customers who could make use of your services and give them a call to introduce yourself and explain what you could do for them and how that would be easier, cheaper and faster than what they would do otherwise (if you are into ag then call the farmers, if you do long line ops call the construction companies, if you are filming call the studios, if you provide air taxi call whoever looks rich enough to be in need for frequent air lifts, etc).

Having good web site with content that educates the visitors is also something to look at. If somebody is thinking about using a helicopter for something he is probably using the internet to check it out first. I am always puzzled by companies that are in business for 10 years but their web site wasn't updated since 2001.

The arsenal is almost unlimited. But of course as Ned pointed out it depends what your target market looks like.

Paying for ads would probably be the last thing I would do if I'd run a helicopter operation that does general helicopter work. It would have to be very targeted and very specific and very cheap comparable to really convince me of that. Sure, it's easy to place an ad and then lean back. But everybody with a few brain cells left knows that good thing's don't come easy.

If you really feel that going with print ads is the best, then you could at least try to have some editorial pieces included into another issue of the mag and throw in a lucky draw or so in another one. That will raise your brand awareness much more than just an ad. I would even argue that paying the ad is the price to get that real publicity with the free giveaway or editorial piece ;) Think about it, who would remember the ad after a few weeks or months, but people would remember the editorial story on you or the lucky draw they saw in the magazine/newspaper/whatever.