PDA

View Full Version : Mi-8 MTV helicopters questions

amrglobal
26th Dec 2008, 23:10
Good evening all, and hope you had a peaceful Christmas.

I am currently working on a project for Mil8-MTV helicopters (PAX), which are needed for a new operation in Asia. If anyone could kindly point me in the direction of where I can find a quantity of 10+ such helicopters, for dry/wet operations, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have already started looking in Russia, but its proving complicated with most search engines not being able to translate mostly Russian written web-pages!

Hope to hear from you all soon.

flysmart2
26th Dec 2008, 23:27
This link might help, they have 3 Mi 8' MTV

www.helitec.com (http://www.helitec.com)

snothogg
27th Dec 2008, 13:53
Try AYR Aviation in the UK. www.ayraviation.co.uk

THM
28th Dec 2008, 00:25
Try the following:

Vertical-T Air Company (http://vertical-t.ru/eng/)

Helisystems (http://www.helisystems.ru/)

amrglobal
28th Dec 2008, 19:13
Just a note of thanks guys for all your suggestions. I will let you know how I get on, in the meantime more suggestions would be appreciated.

N.B Any chance a thread being started for such requests?

All the best,
C

helodpe
28th Dec 2008, 20:11
You could try UTair Aviation in Khanty-Mansiysk city, Russia, they have 31 Mi-8 MTV's

email:
[email protected] ([email protected])

Phones: 7-(34671)-94557; 7-(3462)28-00-57.

Good luck.

cpt
28th Dec 2008, 20:22
Hi, armglobal....

I was involved in 92 in a similar project,on behalf of a major oil company, but at a much lower scale (initially 2 and then 1 helicopter)
The solution we had found at this time, was to order and buy our Mi (a Mi 8 AMT or Mi 17 AMT for export) at the Ulan Ude (Buriatia/ Siberia) production plan. Then we found a local company to operate it.
Difficulties where many, the first one beeing a very different system of laws from what we knew ( must be more than very carefull here) . Then, rough and inacurate translations, banking procedures, misunderstandings etc...
I this time, the Moscow Mil Design Office, had the monopoly of export sales, usually via the Kazan production plan.
We managed to order and buy this helicopter at Ulan Ude only because of a special dispensation involving the Buratia province.
Something else, make sure the model you want to purchase is actually certified for public passanger use (in this time, only the Mi8 P was certified for public use, the Mi8 AMT was certified for "service passenger and cargo". I believe that the Mi 171 is now passenger certified. these definitions beeing somewhat diffrent from ours)
These certifications, starting from the rivets to aircraft systems are anyway completely different from FAR and JAR requirements...of course.
A team of skilled and specialized lawers is something I would certainly hire if I had to do this again, above all never forget you are dealing with chess game experts.
This apart, this helicopter is really amazing ! perfectly adapted to its fields of operation and the crews were very professional and experienced.
I have already said it on pprune, I would love to fly helicopter again !

C.Korsky-Driva
30th Dec 2008, 07:58
I wouldn't claim to be an expert on the Mi8 but having flown in them and having checked out the MTV (apparently the bees-knees of Mi8s) I would rather go by boat. Mi8s have a fundamental design flaw that puts the fuel in thin-walled cylindrical tanks outside the fuselage. Aux tanks are the same but mounted half way up the fuselage. Whenever they crash - which they do with monotonous regularity - they burn. I have seen some heavily modified MTVs that I believe Shell use which have floats and replacement windows that convert each window into an emergency exit - hell of an improvement over the previous models which have either just one or, on later versions two emergency exits.

As a work-horse and military machine it is an impressive helicopter especially in adverse winter conditions but the popularity of the Mi8 in less sophisticated parts of the world is breading a new type of workshop knocking out counterfeit parts (tail rotor blades for example) and the Russian parts control system is very easy to circumvent.

For moving 'stuff' - great 'flying truck', for moving people - a last resort ..... with the lack of western equipment making it almost certain it will be the only option you have if you are working in places where minimum cost is the only factor in the equation. That said, even the Mi8 is in short supply and MTVs are like hen's teeth.

C.KD

pb266
27th Jan 2009, 13:38
We use them a lot and have d0one for some years and we have some good connections in our office here in UK They are, Russian speakers in our office who can also smooth out some of the interpretation. .
Email me and I will see if we can help with info.
Brgds

Rotorhead11
9th Feb 2009, 08:13
Who isnt looking for mtv atm, if you dont know where to get them its because there arent any out there, try another line of work.

Rotorhead11
9th Feb 2009, 08:33
BTW, Thanks for your enlightening message Mr CKD (wonder what the D stands for but am fairly certain that its not anything good and ends in head), try spending some time in Afghanistan and you will soon work out that your Sikorsky there is not much use, and neither are you. And also remember that Sikorsky was Russian. Different ships for different applications, sounds like you should stay with the playstation and leave your comments and suggestions there rather than actually venturing out into that big bad world where people actually get shot at and deliver food/equipment/medicines and believe it or not PEOPLE and arms to where they need to be. Dont discuss a subject you know nothing about or even speak the language.

ACS3000
10th Mar 2009, 21:57
Let me know if you're still looking for MTV's, we have availability.

biggestboy
11th Mar 2009, 05:32
Hey Rotorhead- can I begin the guess for CKD.

D-DOOS

grizzled
11th Mar 2009, 06:28
I have been closely involved with several different MIL operators over the past five years. I would include Vostok helicopters (based in Vladivostok) in your search. Reliable company; good maintenance, training, and culture.

Grizz

Kashif14
10th Aug 2009, 11:07
Pls advice if u are still looking for MTVs? if yes pls contact me at [email protected]

We have 5 MTV's available at the moment in working condition.

Tomik
1st Feb 2011, 04:30
Hi if you are looking for some Mi-8AMT we just got two new 2010 with dolphin nose and hydraulic platform. [email protected]

Tom