PDA

View Full Version : Ejection Question,

fallmonk
26th Dec 2008, 17:22
Just a take from the IAF Mig 21 ejection post ,
WHY did more manufacturers not us the General Dynamics F-111,Modual???? was it weight/costs or did it just not work?

ShyTorque
26th Dec 2008, 17:28
I was told by someone who knew that the escape module was the least serviceable part of the aircraft and was obviously a no-go item.....

Too complicated for its own good?

glad rag
26th Dec 2008, 17:38
Weight, PITA , and MB proven reliability factors.

L J R
26th Dec 2008, 17:51
F-111 module is good and bad

Good - less stuff to strap into, instant raft - stay dry, Mach 2.5 ejection envelope. overall the most comfortable seat to 'enjoy'

Bad - lots of bits had to work to be successful (but actually DOES work!) WEIGHT WEIGHT WEIGHT, the average MiG probably needs the extra engine to carry it.

..also the ejection does not hurt, but the landing does. (to Quote Big Al - strap yourself to a chair and jump out of a 30 storey building). Design is same as Apollo 11! - except you will likely land on land! (Can't steer whilst in descent!)

normally right blank
26th Dec 2008, 17:56
Escape capsules have not been very effective in actual emergencies:
XB-70, B-1A. (B-58?). Good feature here:
Escape crew capsule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_crew_capsule)
The enormous number of fired ejection seats refined this to a very high order of reliability.
Best regards

FJJP
28th Dec 2008, 09:02
ISTR that the Vulcan was to have a cockpit module - the canopy behind the pilots was the container for the parachute [now used for the multi-seat dinghy].

Brilliant concept, but far ahead of the available technology...

Double Zero
28th Dec 2008, 09:27
An escape module seems a good idea to me with modern technolgy & larger aircraft, meanwhile Martin Baker's claim of X'000 safe ejections strikes me - from personal experience on a Board of Inquiry - as more like " we've never had any complaints " !

It's incredible to me that M.B, or UK Ltd, wouldn't support Art Nalls ( nor would Rolls Royce ) forcing him to fit a dodgy Stencel seat - although a Test Pilot, he only learned of the Stencel's killer envelope from J.F; he commented " now I know what happend to a few of my friends "....

advocatusDIABOLI
28th Dec 2008, 12:06
And......... what do you do with a cockpit fire!! :}

Advo