PDA

View Full Version : This made me laugh

Flapping_Madly
26th Dec 2008, 16:48
Recently-Flight Spain to UK-Sort of mixed cabin crew. Safety briefing by recorded voice with performing cabin crew. the girl nearest us went through every motion--pointing at the floor lights--tugging the oxygen tube--showing the doors and safety vest.

Problem was she beat the recorded voice by a country mile. At least 30 per cent of the voice message was done after the girl had cleared off.

The cabin crew forewoman or whatever they are called made the usual tannoy announcements and my wife insists that she caught at least two words she recognized.

A quick survey of the other four people in the row showed they were in the same state as me--I failed to understand a single word she said. I'm glad there was no emergency.

I'm not getting at this airline at all-plane was clean and 5 minutes early--as they took the time to tell us after a fanfare. I just thought it was all quite funny really that things could be so " going through the motions " and done so uninterestedly.

Will I use them again--course I will they are cheapish and fly where I want when I want. Statistically how often will I need to understand emergency messages?

As you obviously can spot I am only SLF

smala01
26th Dec 2008, 17:25
How typically ryanair.

When i fly they usually have the speaker turned down so low you cannot hear the captians cabin address.

Only last week flying into Bristol the No1 informed us that if we check in online we get free priority boarding. I politely pointed out that this ceased almost 6 months ago.

I dont really consider this a safety issue (i know how to get out), but i do worry what would happen in an emergency to some other passengers who fly less frequently and require instruction.

Smala01

OFSO
26th Dec 2008, 18:15
Don't worry smala01 - most Px's ignore the announcements completely, always have and always will.

Slight change of subject: on a flight from GRN to STN this year a plump Englishwoman, 50-ish, sitting behind my wife was heard to say "now that we've taken off, can we have the window open - it's a bit stuffy in here".

My wife looked around thinking it was a joke, but the woman behind her was already groping along the lower edge of the window for some kind of catch to open it.

And you think this sort of person will understand a safety announcement....?

PAXboy
26th Dec 2008, 19:20
In recent years, I have changed my seating row policy to be as near as possible to an exit. I tend to be one row behind or in front of an emergency exit row or, if in coach, as far towards the back as I can. Naturally, there is an enormous range of options based on a/c and cabin.

The reason is simple - I presume that my fellow pax will not know what to do and will impede my departure and that of any whom I am travelling with. They will not have listened and many will be obese. Whilst there are stories that, with a precautionary 'crash position' being announced, folks suddenly start listening, one must also presume that there may be no time for warning, the most startling recent occurrence was the BA038.

As I expect that the 'abandon ship' call will occur at any time, I keep my shoes fully laced up until we are at the cruise (LH only) and secure them as we leave the cruise. I keep my mobile (cell) phone, wallet and passport on me, or in the seat pocket to grab, as being the most helpful things to me should I find myself unexpectedly turfed out of an a/c.

amber 1
26th Dec 2008, 21:30
I keep my mobile (cell) phone, wallet and passport on me, or in the seat pocket to grab, as being the most helpful things to me should I find myself unexpectedly turfed out of an a/c.

And your car keys, especially when leaving/returning to base.

EGAC_Ramper
26th Dec 2008, 23:10
To be honest althought most of Ryanairs cabin crew is foreign they to have to put up with alot of crap from passengers. And they do take a lot of crap.......... however I've always found it satisfying when pax who think they know hte briefing but in actual fact the life jackets are in the overhead panels rather than underseat. :)

Regards

TightSlot
27th Dec 2008, 08:10
The Safety Briefing is important (in addition to the obvious reason) because it sets the tone for the entire flight, as far as customer perception is concerned. If the crew look and sound business-like, efficient and competent, this will tend to rub-off on them during the flight. You'll note that I use the word "efficient" rather than "officious" - each will have contrasting results.

radeng
27th Dec 2008, 13:53
In the event at Denver the other week, there was at least one pax who didn't stop for belongings, although she said 'It seemed right to go with the flow', or words to that effect. Presumably, she HAD listened!

eastern wiseguy
27th Dec 2008, 15:52
[QUOTE]he life jackets are in the overhead panels rather than underseat./QUOTE]

Never knew that...and I do listen(but avoid Micks mob like the plague). I wonder how many people would(in the unlikely event) scrabble under the seat 'cos thats where they usually are?.

Is it a peculiarity to RYR or the 738?

Seat62K
27th Dec 2008, 16:25
Only some Ryanair aircraft (the newer ones) have life jackets stored in panels above the seats. Ryanair's safety briefing, curiously, states both positions (underseat and panel above head) whilst the safety card stuck to the seat in front gives the actual location. The small holes in the panels - with transparent plastic, presumably to allow crew to check if the life jackets are in place - are another indication that life jackets are not to be found under the seats.

PAXboy
27th Dec 2008, 17:21
eastern wiseguy It was introduced to prevent pilfering. I expect that numerous other carriers will follow and that all manufacturers will be reviewing this option. It makes a lot of sense.

A couple of years ago, when on board said carrier, I pointed out to the CC that there was no life jacket under my seat (my travelling companion's was present) she just shrugged her shoulders and walked away. Fortunately, there was a spare seat next to me and I had already checked it for a jacket. Had the seat have been occupied, I would have been forced to stand up and break the cabin security to obtain a spare. Such is travel these days.

Abusing_the_sky
29th Dec 2008, 10:27
Can i just ask, instead of moaning on Pprune, why didn't you write the same in an e-mail to good ol' Mickey?

I doubt it very much MOL&Co are reading customer feedback on Pprune. But i am positive they'll read it on their own website. All you need is the flight number and the date, they obviously have records of who operated that flight that day, you complain ( or point out a few things), CC gets a warning, a Memo is issued and problem is solved.

And can i suggest that next time you encounter this problem, or say the player doesn't work and you don't understand the safety briefing said over the PA, that you press the call bell, inform the PU that you couldn't understand and they'll have to do it all over again, slowly and more efficiently:ok:

I take the safety demo very serious and i make very sure that the JU's demonstrate it in synchronization with the tape. I also (unlike others who prefer to hide in the galley) stand up and face the cabin during the safety demo and that's how i get an uninterrupted safety briefing:)

Rgds,
ATS

Seat62K
29th Dec 2008, 14:23
Email MOL? How on earth can one do that?!

I wouldn't be surprised if someone at Ryanair does read what gets posted on this 'site (in the absence of more sophisticated market research which, I see, even easyJet uses).

(Whilst on the subject of easyJet, it is possible for customers to email the boss.)

PAXboy
29th Dec 2008, 17:37
Abusing_the_sky It did cross my mind but I had heard countless reports of the lack of interest in their customers that I decided not to. I considered complaining to the Irish CAA but decided it was simpler to avoid the carrier. I have had to use them once since then, but it was not my choice.

Unfortunately, it is not just FR that have decided to save money on customer service, I am currently wrestling with a mail-order company where it took me two faxes and two letters (one to the MD) in order to get them to admit that they made a mistake, sending me the wrong goods without an explanation. I pursued that as money was involved. Equally, I am trying to get an apology out of a providential savings fund for a mistake they made causing me a waste of time and energy. I doubt that I will get anywhere and I now expect zero customer service as the standard 'offering.' I used to give companies a second chance but they don't give me one, so i have decided not to bother.

As I said- if I had not been able to get my hands on a life jacket - then I would have stopped everything until one had been found. Not least as the departure took us over water about 1,000m from threshold (AAR in Denmark). But I found a solution and part of that was to ignore the carrier whenever possible. No one in FR management will be sad about that, although some of the crews might be.

Abusing_the_sky
29th Dec 2008, 17:47
PAXboy, i understand your concerns, hence why i suggested you complain. You have every right to.
If, not by your choice of course, you ever have to fly FR again, be rest assured there are 5 spare adult life jackets in the a/c. Just ask the PU to give you one.
The more complaints FR get, the more pressure pax will put on them to actually look into the complaints and sort them out.
Wanna e-mail Big MOL? Use surname + forename initial at ryanair dot com (i am not sure i am allowed to post the e-mail address but I'm sure you'll guess my little riddle;))

Rgds,
ATS

Seat62K
30th Dec 2008, 08:22
Many thanks for the email address! (But I bet he'll change it if too many passengers start using it!)