PDA

View Full Version : Flight Training in US

djsamphard
25th Dec 2008, 02:26
can anyone tell me some good flying schools in Florida and Atlanta Georgia. I am looking for schools that offer jobs after training or/and have special programs where they can give me you more then 200 hrs of flight training. I live in Canada and I am thinking of doing my flight training in the states.

Keygrip
25th Dec 2008, 02:32
Try the archive reference at the top of the forum.

It's a common question.

djsamphard
25th Dec 2008, 03:57
couldn't really find anything that would be helpful. thank you for the great link though.

ReverseFlight
25th Dec 2008, 10:07
Do you have US citizenship or at least a green card ?

Are there special labor permit concessions in the US for Canadian citizens or residents ?

If the answers to the above questions are negative, you will be relying on a J visa.

Recently a friend tried to apply to a Florida school operating J visas but the reply was that they will only entertain M visa applicants from now on.

1) Are US flight schools saving jobs for locals ?

2) Issuance of J visas is supposed to stop in June 2010. Is the US government already curtailing these ?

B2N2
25th Dec 2008, 15:21
I am looking for schools that offer jobs after training
A job offer is only an offer, I'd be cautious with any school that offers a job.
There is no real way they can guarantee a position for you.
The job market for flight instructors is pretty much saturated right now and will be for a while to come.
Experienced instructors are sticking to their jobs and not moving on to the regionals/airlines.

Are US flight schools saving jobs for locals ?
I don't think so, see above.
Issuance of J visas is supposed to stop in June 2010. Is the US government already curtailing these ?
Probably not, the school in question may no longer be authorized under the J-1 program.

smith
25th Dec 2008, 16:03
Don't do flying training in Florida, they are all Mickey Mouse courses down there, especially the Orlando/Kissimmee area :ok:

djsamphard
25th Dec 2008, 17:06
i am a Canadian citizen. the reason why i want to do my training in the states is because i would like to get it done fast and start looking for jobs as fast as i can. If there are good schools in other states , plz tell me about them.

zooom
26th Dec 2008, 21:42
If you want to be JAA licensed professional then do it in Canada...if you want it just for fun then search JAA Florida.

ReverseFlight
28th Dec 2008, 14:51
Thanks, B2N2 for your analysis.

I think the pilot situation in the US is similar to many places around the world in that fewer instructors are moving up to the regionals/airlines and maybe the school has already foreseen an oversupply of instructors in its ranks for the next year or so.

That would leave my friend "out in the cold" with an M-visa, which does not achieve his aim of accumulating hours after his training.

On the other hand, another Florida school who is famous for promising so-called airline interviews for students is welcoming my friend with open arms under a J-visa. I have already warned him against confusing "prospects" with quality flight training. Besides, I believe he hasn't got any chance of employment without US residency.

B2N2
28th Dec 2008, 20:51
The schools that promise ( and do get you) interviews provide this service to US CITIZENS only.
It should be on the fine print on the website somewhere.

ReverseFlight
29th Dec 2008, 01:32
Yup, the fine print says he needs a US passport or US birth certificate.

zooom
29th Dec 2008, 16:46
So...he know what to do...get married there :ok:

wis3384
7th Jan 2009, 18:40
check Phoenix East Aviation in Daytona Beach,,, seems they are doing a pretty good work....

Paklady
4th Mar 2009, 17:36
I hate to be a total computer idiot, but I'm new to doing forums, and I can't find where this helpful "archive reference" is at the top. Can you be a bit more specific?

Keygrip
4th Mar 2009, 19:09
Heh heh - fair enough.

If you leave this message, and go to the main page of this FORUM (Professional Flight Training), look at the top two or three threads that have been started. The very first ones under the yellow line that says "Threads in forum".

To be honest, they do change their order from time to time, but, as I look at it now, the top one is (sticky) "Travelling to USA?....", second one down is (sticky) "Let's flip the coin" and third one down is (sticky) "Archive Reference Threads".

It's that third one that you want, Paklady.