PDA

View Full Version : GAR question

cvlux
24th Dec 2008, 15:49
hi all,
how do you write the locations on the GAR form? Sould I write Shoreham? Or can I write EGKA?

Chilli Monster
24th Dec 2008, 16:17
The GAR form is intended for non-aviation agencies, therefore common sense dictates you use non-aviation terms.

Write it in longhand.

Fuji Abound
24th Dec 2008, 16:50
I always write the ICAO codes on the basis that if I can be bothered to give the information then the authorities can jolly well train their staff to know which airports they refer to. :}. For the same reason I always give zulu time.

To be fair if you follow the Vapours site we will apparently be able to do it all on line soon, but if it is anything like self assessment that will make the process far more complicated contrary to what you might expect - me, cynical? Ah well, it is all progress apparently.

IO540
24th Dec 2008, 19:58
I always write the ICAO codes on the basis that if I can be bothered to give the information then the authorities can jolly well train their staff to know which airports they refer to. http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/badteeth.gif. For the same reason I always give zulu time.

Very much agree :)

Chilli Monster
24th Dec 2008, 22:55
Or if you wanted to be really bl**dy minded you could use IATA codes instead!

But when you start having the attitude stated above you just start looking a bit of a Richard :rolleyes:

BackPacker
24th Dec 2008, 23:34
How about just writing lat/long instead? No confusion on whether it's an IATA or ICAO code, no problem if a field has neither. Oh, and use the phonetic alphabet, in morse, to write your name. Hexadecimal to write down your passport number. And time in seconds since epoch - which in this context is the first flight at Kitty Hawk.

No wonder nobody ever shows up to check your form.

(Allright, it's Christmas eve and I've had a drink or two.)

IO540
25th Dec 2008, 07:34
Actually, BP, the appearance is that here in the UK they do examine the GAR forms very carefully, but only if it is Special Branch (the police) i.e. you are flying to/from Ireland, Isle of Man, or the Channel Islands. In that case, you must work for the IRA ;) And if you forget to send one in, you get an "interview" the moment you step out of the plane (as I well know).

GAR forms sent in regarding Customs/Immigration (e.g. from France to the UK, etc) seem to be totally ignored. And I can see why; almost nobody used them until a few years ago when there was a big "marketing drive". Where I am based, all the schools used to do fly-outs to France and GARs were never done.

Johnm
25th Dec 2008, 09:09
I always use the full name of destinations and local time for arrival and departure.

Now they're used to my regular haunts I never see 'em.

mde
26th Dec 2008, 11:39
Well done JOHNM --for over 25 years I have been meeting the requirements of special branch/customs

Fill in the forms properly to make life as easy as possible for them ---NAME and code in brackets. TIME and L in brackets

If you stir the crap do not be suprised if some of it lands in your lap

Fuji Abound
26th Dec 2008, 12:51
In seriousness, I believe in the democratic process and I believe (broadly) in abiding by the law.

However, we are a nation that blindly abides.

The GAR is complete nonesense, derived wholly from our failure to sign up to Schengen, like the rest of Europe. On top of which, no one is remotely interested in GA reports. Do you really believe the authorities use the information for anything worth while? It serves as much purpose as the Yanks asking us to declare whether we are communist - but we go on blindly providing the information, because that is the way we are.

In equal seriousness, I asked the local constabularly some years ago if they had thought about enabling us to file the information electronically. They were most enthusiastic and suggested we should meet - to which I agreed - I never heard from them again. They have not managed to enable electronic filing in all that time, which would not only save them time, but us as well, never mind providing a standard data format and a worth while data base.

Next they will be wanting us to give them samples of our DNA .. .. ..

Edited to add: I have been filing GARs for a very long time - I also went through a period when I didnt bother (because I wrongly thought they were no longer required). I have never been visited by the boys in blue, regardless of whether or not I filed the GARs. I suspect they have far more worth while matters to which to attend.

and, on a practical matter, I guess some of you have never had to process data. Personally, I would far rather type in a four letter identifier than "shoreham" or "William Tell Inter Galactic Space Port". Moreover, I would do the community I am asking to help me the respect of stating on the form the information I want AND the format I would like it in.

mm_flynn
26th Dec 2008, 15:05
Immigration certainly read mine (non-EU passport holder). They show up probably every other arrival. Unlike the generally grumpiness you find in the queue at Heathrow, when they are out for they day visiting me, the officials are ever so polite (sorry to have to ask for your passport sir, bit of an inconvenience but we will be very quick ....).

They also seem to enjoy the food at the airport cafe!

dublinpilot
26th Dec 2008, 16:47
I have never been visited by the boys in blue, regardless of whether or not I filed the GARs. I suspect they have far more worth while matters to which to attend.

I've been met on three occasions.

First one everything was ok, just local plod was asked to attend by SB. They collected the same details that I'd already provided on the GAR, and offered tourist advice :)

Second one was because I gave notice to South Wales police force rather then North Wales police force. Despite the fact that I'd given 2 weeks notice, noone had bothered to either call me back and inform me of my error, or forward the GAR to the correct agency. North Wales Police force tell me that they have a policy of attending EVERY SINGLE arrival that is subject to a (correctly filed) GAR.

Third time was "call Special Branch on arrival". I got 'informed' of my obligation to file a GAR, and the SB officer demanded to know why I hadn't. When I advised I had, they took no heed of this simply stateing that they'd no record of it. The grumpyness stopped when I produced the fax confirmation page, and suddenly it wasn't a problem anymore.

Other police forces it's obvious that they couldn't care less about them.

There is no consistancy across the UK. (Why do you need so many different police forces???) Some police forces seem to think they are a total waste of time and couldn't be bothered with them, while others make a full time job (for several people) and visit every arrival/departure :rolleyes:

dp

ifonly
26th Dec 2008, 17:50
I suppose if we all moan for long enough they could revert to the 'old' system and have to clear through a Customs airport on the way out and on the way back ! The landing fees will certainly increase the cost of flying. This is one of the few countires in Europe where you can fly back to wherever you want. For the sake of filling in a single form and giving a few hours notice I make sure mine's legible and has the airfields in full.

Fuji Abound
26th Dec 2008, 18:23
This is one of the few countires in Europe where you can fly back to wherever you want.

Really, news to me. The rest opened up their borders rather a while ago.

I suppose if we all moan for long enough they could revert to the 'old' system and have to clear through a Customs airport on the way out and on the way back !

We have all heard the one about the BA pilot being told off at Munich - dont you know your way around the taxiways, havent you been here before - actually I have, 44 was the last time, except we didnt stop on that occasion.

I dont suppose they stopped for the Customs either. :)

Chilli Monster
27th Dec 2008, 15:40
Really, news to me. The rest opened up their borders rather a while ago

I think the reference was to the situation in France where entry / exit is still via a notified customs airfield - open borders or not.

IO540
27th Dec 2008, 15:44
I think there is a bunch of countries who are "in Schengen" but disregard the treaty except for people arriving on foot, swimming, or perhaps by car.

Greece ignores it for aircraft, and I am informed by a Swiss colleague that the newly signed up Switzerland is doing the same, so it's Customs airports only.

dublinpilot
2nd Jan 2009, 15:21
Chilli,

As I understand it, France only wants entry/exit from Customs airfields, where you are enterin/leaving the Schengin area. If you're entering/leaving from/to another Schengin country then you can do so without using a customs field.

At least that is my understanding.

dp