PDA

View Full Version : Anyone pass Bristol's ATPL w-out 2week refreshers?

flyforfood_not
24th Dec 2008, 02:55
Is there anyone out there who went thru Bristol's ATPL distance learning course, haven't attended the 2-week refresher courses (allowed to skip due to experience), and passed the exams without any major problems?

I have a US ATPL and 500MCrew, 1500TT etc, just can't come up with 3 weeks off from my current job for review/exams in England..

Is that possible to do if you have experience and study enough?

Thanks for info

RudeNot2
24th Dec 2008, 06:53
In short - I have no idea - but the best folk to speak to / email would be Bristol themselves!!

Superpilot
24th Dec 2008, 08:26
No. It's a JAA requirement to attend these "2 week refresher courses". Don't know of the exact figure but something like 10% of your JAA ATPL Theory course needs to be done on site and in a class room. Check LASORS 2008 for further info. Or just google it and you'll find it.

JUST-local
24th Dec 2008, 16:21
I sat mine a couple of years ago.

I spoke with a chap after the perf. exam and he had done exactly that, he was converting to JAA and had no classroom time requirment.

Good luck with he study :confused:! The Bristol QB is your friend :D!

FMC OVERHEAT
25th Dec 2008, 16:54
I attended the Mod 1 refresher course for the first part of the JAA ATPL (8 subjects).
I asked the school (a EU school using Bristol method) to skip the second brush up course cause I wasn't able to get some days off for that. I only studied mod 2 theory and went to take the exams.

I passed all 14 subjects with an average score of 96%.
I started in February and finished in August.
I took some time between mod 1 and mod 2 because I was working.

It is perfectly feasible to do it as long as you study well.

Legally I am not sure if it is allowed or not but I asked the school if I can skip it and they accepted.
I had about 3000 hours total time with 2700 on B737 at that time.

Good luck,

flyforfood_not
27th Dec 2008, 00:11
Thanks for the info.

I think you're allowed to skip the classroom requierement based on your current experience/hours/licenses (whether it's FAA like my case or any other). I talked to folks down in a JAA school in Florida and that's what i got from them.

I'm just a bit affraid of hurting myself too much by not attending those brushup courses, but i guess according to you FMC OVERHEAT it's duable.

Thanks again, and if anyone else has done it that way, please write

Chopter
27th Dec 2008, 21:25
I sat mine in Florida without attending the Bristol refresher. just contact Bristol and they can tell you about it, you should be fine. I passed all the exams in my first attempt, Bristol has a very good ground school course.
i had an ATP with about 2700TT when Bristol exempted me from the refresher.

flyforfood_not
3rd Jan 2009, 04:31
Hey Chopter, did you study Bristol's manuals + database and took the exams thru Naples Air Ctr then?
That's what i'm thinking of doing. The only problem is that Naples charges $400 everytime you use the testing room.. but oh well i guess

Chopter
3rd Jan 2009, 12:56
I didn't buy the Bristol manuals, just the dvd, so I paid 490 pounds. I also bought "Phil Croucher's JAR Professional Pilot Studies" to supplement the online course. Bristow Academy only charged me $250 dollars for the testing room when I booked the exams through them...might be worth contacting them....:ok: