PDA

View Full Version : Licensing costs

all_mod_cons
23rd Dec 2008, 12:14
Hello all
Just had my Licence renewal through from those helpful people at the CAA.
Now I don’t want too moan about £126 to reprint one small piece of paper with a new date, or that since being an aviator in my correspondence with Gatwick I have never filled out a form with enough boxes for my ref number.
My question is the disparity between CPL and PPL charges?
It can’t be twice as hard or time consuming to reprint a CPL over a PPL.
I imagine the annual income for an average commercial pilot is far less than the average income for a PPL.
Also, am I in a minority, having to pay for my own licence renewal and medical costs? (Being a salaried pilot for a reputable company):sad:

Have a great Xmas everyone

Helinut
23rd Dec 2008, 12:21
Welcome to rip-off Britain!

The problem is that you are not just paying for a small piece of laser printing. You are paying for the Belgrano and all those final salary pension schemes and the rest. Oh and of course for the profit that the CAA are required to make by Gordon and co :mad:

Most employers that I have come across pay those sort of things. [What would happen if you said you could not afford it?] If you are required by your employer to incur certain costs to be employed by them, there is at least a chance that it may be tax deductible, which could help a bit. Whirlygig may have more accurate info?

Whirlygig
23rd Dec 2008, 13:28
Did someone call?

I cannot see why HMR&C wouldn't allow tax relief on the licence renewal and medical; it seems to fulfill their criteria. However, you may have to provide details and you may get a stroppy Inspector so be prepared to argue your case clearly (in words of less than one syllable that thye might understand!).

Clicky linky (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/tax-allow-ees.htm)

Cheers

Whirls

Helipilot1982
23rd Dec 2008, 14:41
CAA - Cash Again & Again!!!:O