PDA

View Full Version : M.Y.O.B or Quickbooks

heated ice detector
22nd Dec 2008, 23:15
Does anyone have any advice on what software is easiest to use for a potential new business that requires stock keeping and time billing
They both seem to cost around $500 oz.
Or is there a better alternative to those two
thanks in advance

Whirlygig
22nd Dec 2008, 23:39
If it's available in your country, Sage beats the competition hands down as it will see you through your business growth.

Alternatively, have a chat with your accountant and see what they recommend.

Cheers

Whirls

ZFT
23rd Dec 2008, 01:10
I too totally endorse Sage. Even if it's not available locally, it is very straightforward to deal remotely with the UK office.

Tinstaafl
23rd Dec 2008, 04:54
You could look at GNUCash. It's free - both in cost & in ideology - so only your time will be involved and is available across a number of operating systems. It's a double entry system, as used in standard accountancy practice.

My wife & I are going to have our own Limited Liability Company and intend using it for that based on what we've read about it.

Here's what their website says:

"Designed to be easy to use, yet powerful and flexible, GnuCash allows you to track bank accounts, stocks, income and expenses. As quick and intuitive to use as a checkbook register, it is based on professional accounting principles to ensure balanced books and accurate reports.

Feature Highlights

Double-Entry Accounting
Stock/Bond/Mutual Fund Accounts
Small-Business Accounting
Customers, Vendors, Jobs,
Invoices, A/P, A/R
QIF/OFX/HBCI Import, Transaction Matching
Reports, Graphs
Scheduled Transactions
Financial Calculations"

Free Accounting Software | GnuCash (http://www.gnucash.org)

Parapunter
23rd Dec 2008, 06:57
No idea what MYOB is but I have been using Quickbooks for seven years in my business. It's very straightforward to use, processes VAT at a stroke, gives customised invoice templates, memorised transactions for repetitive items & also allows you to go back and void or delete mistakes as necessary - hence the nick name cookbooks.

I looked at Sage but decided against it as at the time, the modular design made it expensive. £99 for sage instant accounts but by the time one had added vat, invoicing etc it looked more like £1000. Whether that's changed or not I don't know.

At the very beginning, I had Omni accounts which was awkward to use. I had a problem & opened a ticket. This was in 2004. They emailed me last week asking whether or not I had resolved the issue!! Is this a new record? Even AOL aren't four years bad!!

frostbite
23rd Dec 2008, 11:39
I used Quickbooks for many years when running a business and found it intuitive and easy to use.