PDA

View Full Version : ELC - Best use for license ?

LynxSports
21st Dec 2008, 21:18
Hi,

I left the AAC a couple of years ago and registered for the ELC so have the £1k a year for 3 years. I have approx 1400 hrs nearly all on Lynx.

I am now looking to use my ELC to gain at least my PPL A, which i can then use for my job. I could sign up for CPL/ATPL if needed.

Based on the south coast and not a million miles from Bournemouth.

Any help on the best way to do this would be helpful?

Regards
Stuart

A and C
22nd Dec 2008, 07:39
Check your PM's

gijoe
22nd Dec 2008, 10:04
If you don't get the info you need from A and C then drop me a PM.

I've used one lot of ELC and am just about to use the second - this time£2000.

G

NickGooseBrady
22nd Dec 2008, 10:55
Mate,

Have you thought about using the ELC at a service flying club? Contact me for details of your nearest. I know the RAF Benson club is particularly good and I am pretty sure that you can use your ELC there.

Cheers NGB

airborne_artist
22nd Dec 2008, 11:02
RAF Benson club is particularly good

A and C may know just a bit about it :ok:

NickGooseBrady
22nd Dec 2008, 11:04
So may NGB! :ok:

LynxSports
22nd Dec 2008, 12:29
Gents,

Thanks for the comments.

As i understand it, i can use the ELC for PPL if i can demonstrate that it is part of my development !! I would look at IR etc for other years funding.

I was looking at Bournemouth as it is down the road but i am happy to travel up to Benson if the value for money is worth it, which it seems.

One last question if i may, i assume that i can use the PPL as part of my business travel and take guests with me, not fare paying but my clients?

Thanks
Stuart

bythebackdoor
22nd Dec 2008, 13:08
If Lyneham is closer? they have a very good club and I'm sure they have acreditation for use with ELC. and very competative prices.
They also have a good webb site with all the info you require.;)

gashman
22nd Dec 2008, 14:20
You can use the ppl to fly people around as long as the flight is not for gain or reward. You can also have passengers in the aeroplane whilst you do your flying training, as long as it is big enough and you are not flying solo at the time. You might find that some passengers are happy to help pay for some "petrol money" too. I'm not certain, but I seem to remember something about any contributions not coming to more than a certain percentage of the total cost. But I am trying to remember a passing conversation from 10+ years ago, so that last bit is probably hoop.

Enjoy the training.

NickGooseBrady
22nd Dec 2008, 17:31
With a PPL you can split the cost of the hire (rental plus fuel) as long as the passengers pay no more then an even split. i.e a Cessna 152, a passenger can pay no more then 50% of the costs, an Archer with 3 passengers the passengers collectively must pay for no more then 75% of the costs. Very simple really.

BEagle
22nd Dec 2008, 19:31
Except that it's only the direct operating costs which may be split.... So if the rental includes a profit element (as most do), the pilot will have to pay for that.

Mind you, there's nothing to stop the passengers treating you to lunch.....

astateofdenmark
6th Jul 2009, 09:04
Apologies for dredging up this thread, but posters here seem to know what they are talking about.

I left the Army in 2004 and have one ELC grant of £1000 left which I'm going to use doing a PPL. Question I have before contacting a few clubs: are the RAF flying clubs only for current service personnel?

Cheers.

PS, I live in London.

Stuff
6th Jul 2009, 14:03
Also remember to check that the flying club you want to use is actually registered as a provider for the ELC scheme.

Link: Enhanced Learning for the Armed Forces (http://www.enhancedlearningcredits.com/mssql/search.php?key=flying&act=1&search=ALL)

If they aren't listed then the club will have to apply to ELCAS for registration which will delay your claim.

ACW418
6th Jul 2009, 16:48
Have you thought of the Army Flying Association at Middle Wallop?

ACW

astateofdenmark
6th Jul 2009, 17:23
Thanks for the replies.

I've got the full list of suppliers that provide PPL training on the ELC approved list downloaded. Most of the civvy ones (BCFT, Willow, etc) look quite expensive and the RAF ones are a bit vague about eligibility for membership.

The AFA aren't on the ELC list and their website states that they only do Night and IMC ratings. I'm going to contact a few of the RAF clubs: Lyneham, Brize, Mareham and see how I get on.

Load Gone
6th Jul 2009, 21:31
astateofdenmark and LynxSports pls check PMs

LG