PDA

View Full Version : USAAF/RAF station names

Ballast
21st Dec 2008, 11:27
Sorry - but can someone point me to the answer to an argument!

I believe that all the USAF/USAAF stations in the UK were known as RAF ABCXYZ, even if solely occupied by Americans.

However the counter argument is that there are some known as USAF ABCXYZ, I believe this is just slang for what underneath is still RAF ABCXYZ

Is there any chapter and verse that can either make me look an expert or a fool

Ballast

StopStart
21st Dec 2008, 11:41
As far as I know all USAF bases in the uk were known as RAF (Whatever). The USAAF did however allocate all US airbases a number (for example, RAF Membury was USAAF Station 466) for official purposes. This may also have alleviated pronunciation problems/confusion that may have arisen.

taxydual
21st Dec 2008, 15:57
US, USAAF & USAF WW2 Airfields in the UK (http://www.controltowers.co.uk/usaaf%20list.htm)

As Stopstart says, all airfields were RAF (Whatever). They all had a very small contingent of RAF personnel to liaise with the Americans and to avoid giving the USAAF (and later, the USAF) US sovereign territory within those airfields, and therefore, negating UK laws.

The War Powers Act 1940 (as amended) is, I believe, chapter and verse.

A bit deep for a Sunday argument, isn't it?

I think I'm a bit sad for having an answer. I must get out more.

galaxy flyer
21st Dec 2008, 16:02
Don't know about WWII, aka USAAF, but currently all RAF bases, occupied by the USAF are known as RAF xxxx. RAF Mildenhall and RAF Lakenheath are the best known. I believe each has an RAF senior officer on station, also. Last, I was there, they have turned Mildenhall into a prison, for all the security issues, ruined to my mind. Mickey's T-bar for brekkie and the bus to Cambridge or Newmarket; now you have to cab it to Mildenhall village. Bloody shame.

GF